What's new

SP2 Screen Flicker

jtuck82

Anyone else having their screen flicker ever so slightly like its an autobrightness bug of some sort? My SP1 did this too. I was hoping they would have fixed this. I also have auto brightness turned off.

godson594

I thought I was going nuts. I disabled that adaptive brightness bs and that seems to have fixed it....

I hope.. if not i'll take this thing back and go with a different device :(

oion

Anyone else having their screen flicker ever so slightly like its an autobrightness bug of some sort? My SP1 did this too. I was hoping they would have fixed this. I also have auto brightness turned off.

Was the Pro 1 bug like this? surface pro brightness bug - Microsoft Community

If this behavior exists in Pro 2 as well, I highly recommend people post on the official Microsoft Answers, Surface boards because actual MS employees roam around there; I have no doubt patches and firmware updates are coming down the pike, but bugs and other issues need to be reported closer to the appropriate channels to get on MS' radar.

OP
jtuck82

jtuck82

OP
jtuck82

jtuck82

I thought I was going nuts. I disabled that adaptive brightness bs and that seems to have fixed it....

I hope.. if not i'll take this thing back and go with a different device :(

My adaptive brightness was already off. I turned it on just to see what's happens lol.

godson594

Mine still does it..... Easy way to replicate it is be on regular desktop and then open control panel... The background of control panel changes like 2 levels of brightness..

FFS

OP
jtuck82

jtuck82

Yea it is very annoying. Mine does it all the time. Most noticeable on white backgrounds like you said for control panel... anyone have a surface pro 2 that doesn't have a screen flicker, or a fix for this. I want to keep this device because it is very nice.. but the screen flicker is almost unbearable.

Deryl McCarty

I too noticed a screen flicker, more an off then on then off etc, and could not for the life of me figure it out. But, I have my power settings set so that if on-battery then the screen will be about 50% bright, if on charger then 100%. Knowing that, I looked verrrrry closely at the charger and noted that it was NOT firmly seated in the magnetic slot on the side of my Pro 2. And the charger light, the led "dot" in the center bottom (top for some) was also blinking. Aha, says I and straightened out my connector so that it was on securely and the led glowing steady and no more flicker. And of course chided myself for not paying enough attention to attaching the connector. Or I have fat fingers, whichever. I was kinda proud of myself for the thorough investigation though.

Gah

this is not a bug its intel's dynamic power saving at work. you need to install the intel hd driver and turn it off in the graphics control panel

it was the same with sp1

ALLCAPS

Do you have a link to the drivers that install on the sp2? I tried and it says they're not verified for this machine.

Do you have a link to the drivers that install on the sp2? I tried and it says they're not verified for this machine.

Download the zip instead of the exe and follow these instructions from intel.

1. Click "Start", right-click "Computer", and click "Properties".

2. Click "Device Manager" on the left.

3. In the "User Account Control" window, click "Yes".

IF UPDATING DRIVER GO TO STEP 5

4. Double-click "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" if present under
"Other Devices". (Go to step 6).

5. Expand "Display adapters" and double-click the graphics controller.

6. In the "Driver" tab, click "Update Driver".

7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

9. Click "Have Disk..." and click "Browse".

10. Browse to the directory where you unzipped the file you
downloaded, click the "Graphics" folder, and select the
kit56666.INF file. Click "Open".

11. Click "OK" and click "Next". The operating system will install
the driver.

12. Click "Close" and click "Yes" to reboot. The driver should now
be loaded.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It fixed the issue but windows update will overwrite it. I had to reinstall after a windows update.