What's new

Sony VAIO Tap 11 : Thinner Haswell Surface Pro

Spaniard

Nobody is imitating the Surface Pro form factor? Where's mitchellvii?

Sony takes on the Surface Pro with the VAIO Tap 11, its first Windows 8 tablet (hands-on)
Sony's three new VAIOs find ways to make tablets out of anything, even 21-inch desktops | The Verge
Haswell, 6 hours battery life, thinner than Surface Pro. It's like a SP2 with a thinner battery (SP2 will have 7 hours battery).
l.jpg
l.jpg

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Wow, so now the Surface Pro 2 is looking like more of a turd than before. This is actually kind of nice depending upon the price point. I still say it's the wrong form factor for business but students and housewives might like it. If it is a few hundred cheaper than the Pro it could sell.

jeffskent

I'm not going to get into a verbal war here, since I don't find a whole lot of information herein about my Surface Pro, but, I seem to recall a post to the effect that you were leaving the Surface Pro and moving on to a better computer. Now you refer to the new Surface Pro as a turd. How is this helpful to anyone?

I use the Surface Pro because it weighs two pounds when I carry it outside of the house. It also works great docked as my main machine at home and I have 3 laptops that sit, mostly unused. I'm not a businessman who needs a clamshell laptop so I can type reports and emails on my lap at airports and on airplanes. No device can meet all needs. According to your logic, the iPad should have failed completely, and yet it didn't.

Just a quick observation, not the start of name calling, endless arguments, and bad feelings.

This website (forum) seems mostly devoted to showing what an awful machine the Surface RT and Pro are. If you hate Microsoft, come here to tell others what horrible computers they make.

Perhaps I am looking for a website like the WPCentral, Crackberry, or iMore type where they actually seem to like the computers they talk about. Negative opinions are welcome, but that isn't the main focus of the site.

demandarin

I agree Jeff. but don't feel discouraged. ive found that most users here are more than satisfied with their devices. its just a certain few love to post on most if not every thread bashing the device. Like you said, negative opinions should not be the main focus. They are actually in the minority here. but just like with any device, there will always be haters who get a kick out of reactions from people who actually like their device. don't feed them or ignore and they'll eventually get bored and move to the next device to hate on or feel unsatisfied about..lol

demandarin

I will say that new sony device looks nice and thin. but we haven't even seen the final form factor or specs of pro 2 so we cant say its better. If it wasn't for first generati0n surface, these other manufacturers wouldn't have came as hard as they are now. competition is good and makes the consumer the winner in the end. I still have my money on surface pro 2. but I will admit, this new sony device and asus transformer book t300 is really gunning for the Surface Pro.

fonzman78

Wow, so now the Surface Pro 2 is looking like more of a turd than before. This is actually kind of nice depending upon the price point. I still say it's the wrong form factor for business but students and housewives might like it. If it is a few hundred cheaper than the Pro it could sell.

Dang, Mitch, don't you ever give up? You continually slam the SP for it's form factor yet you bought one. You continually bash MS for not having/announcing a new SP2 just months after the SP came out. You come on the forum and make a prediction that an SP2 will never happen. Then you double down saying MS will for sure not produce an SP2. Then an SP2 is announced. You bash the SP form factor saying no one is copying it. Then now we have Sony copying it.

At what point do you give up? At one point your posts were relevant and insightful. Now, while we still respect your viewpoint, it's really getting old. I mean, calling the SP2 a turd before it even comes out. Is that necessary?

machistmo

Everything looks nice when its being advertised, thats why the marketing people have jobs. I reserve all my judgements, most of them anyway, until I have held the devices in my hands and taken them around the block so to speak. Manufacturers are throwing whatever they can at the wall to see what sticks. In this case at lease the SP2 is just that, a second generation and one would hope that the second generation has improved on the first substantially. Saying anything is a 'turd' before it is released and in comparison to a device that is brand new and none of us have actually owned is a bit premature. I do think that Microsoft fumbled badly the first go around and I am expecting a helluva lot from them this time around. I do however understand people that are angry at and distrustfull of Microsoft, as I am one of them as well.

CrippsCorner

You know, I like this machine, and Sony are one of my favourite manufacturers. The keyboard in particular looks really nice, but I guess it can't be used as a cover as per the Surface?

demandarin

You know, I like this machine, and Sony are one of my favourite manufacturers. The keyboard in particular looks really nice, but I guess it can't be used as a cover as per the Surface?

I believe it can based off what I've seen in videos. But its not tightly integrated like pro cover. Plus its wireless and its charging ports to link up to tablet is on the frontside of device. Not on bottom like pro.

mitchellvii

Dang, Mitch, don't you ever give up? You continually slam the SP for it's form factor yet you bought one. You continually bash MS for not having/announcing a new SP2 just months after the SP came out. You come on the forum and make a prediction that an SP2 will never happen. Then you double down saying MS will for sure not produce an SP2. Then an SP2 is announced. You bash the SP form factor saying no one is copying it. Then now we have Sony copying it.

At what point do you give up? At one point your posts were relevant and insightful. Now, while we still respect your viewpoint, it's really getting old. I mean, calling the SP2 a turd before it even comes out. Is that necessary?

Don't you people pay any attention at all?

A 72 Pinto is a great car if your only alternative is walking, but it's a turd compared to a Porsche. I bought the Surface Pro at the time (as I have mentioned countless times) because it was the best hybrid with a pen available at the time. However, this does not mean I ever loved or do love this machine. Apparently considering it was a sales disaster of Biblical proportions, I was and am correct in my analysis.

MS never should have done the Surface Pro 2 but since they were determined to, they should have done a complete redesign. The 10.6 form factor does not work for most business users (hence the terrible sales). The lack of a backlit keyboard and additional ports without using a bulky dock is also a fail for business users. The inability to store the pen internally another huge fail. NONE of these issue were addressed in the SP2.

What did we get? The SAME SHAPE, THE SAME SCREEN, THE SAME PORTS, THE SAME NON-BACKLIT KEYBOARD, a CPU refresh, more ram and a 2 stage kickstand. That's it? And they hope to compete for business dollars with bigger and better screens, backlit keyboards, longer battery life and more ports?

The SP2 does not show MS's commitment to the brand, actually exactly the opposite. If they were committed they would have redesigned it completely but they could do this "refresh" with almost no additional R & D and using most of the same hardware. This isn't an SP2, it's an SP1.5. MS chose the cheapest way to not wave the white flag and admit SP1 failed.

Surface 2 looks quite promising (unless MS overprices it) but the SP2 my friends is a turd and will sell about as well. I'm sorry if I bruised your fanboy sensitivities but I am nonetheless correct.

** P.S., I was actually wrong about one thing. I assumed MS wouldn't be dumb enough to create a Surface Pro 2 and so said there would not be one. For that I apologize. Never assume MS is too smart to do something dumb.

One more small point. Just because you personally like your Surface Pro does not mean it is a good design for commercial success. When I say the SP2 is a turd I am speaking to the fact that it will fail with it's broader target audience. I mean, there were even some people who loved the Zune.

** The device I was going to move to as a SP replacement vaporwared due to some patent and copyright issues (or so I read) so I'll just be waiting until the holidays when all the really cool stuff comes out to step up. Would I consider the SP2 (considering I am MS's target audience pretty much exactly)? Nope. I would need to buy the SP2, the battery cover and the dock just to do less than pretty much any new hybrid does.

Last edited:

dellaster

Sony to launch VAIO Tap 11 later this month

The price is IMO too much. I'll buy a surface pro or pro 2 before I pay that much.

Indeed, if that $1300 is the US price it pretty much eliminates itself from contention as my next machine. Quite a Sony premium even if it does list a 512GB SSD in that Indian article. It's possible that's not the US price and/or it's a lot less expensive with a smaller solid state drive. We'll see, I guess.