What's new

Something's on my screen and it won't come off

I recently just noticed this issue towards the bottom on of my screen, that when I use the pen to draw it feels rough and you can even hear the pen going over the glass. It's just the bottom part and everywhere else on the screen it's very smooth and quiet. I noticed the issue when I breathe on the screen or using a damp cloth there are some streaks that show up, looks like a baby wiped snot on the screen and it dried up. However, I can't seem to get it off by using the Dust Off Screen Wipe or just hot water on a lintfree screen cleaning cloth. I'm afraid to use anything more abrasive due to the oleophobic coating. Can anyone recommend something to thoroughly clean the screen? Or is my oleophobic layer been "chipped off"? When I turn off the screen and try to look for it, it is not visible at all, just when I breathe on it or if it has some wetness to the screen. I don't want to exchange it out for another surface since I have no other issues with this one.

jtuck82

I recently just noticed this issue towards the bottom on of my screen, that when I use the pen to draw it feels rough and you can even hear the pen going over the glass. It's just the bottom part and everywhere else on the screen it's very smooth and quiet. I noticed the issue when I breathe on the screen or using a damp cloth there are some streaks that show up, looks like a baby wiped snot on the screen and it dried up. However, I can't seem to get it off by using the Dust Off Screen Wipe or just hot water on a lintfree screen cleaning cloth. I'm afraid to use anything more abrasive due to the oleophobic coating. Can anyone recommend something to thoroughly clean the screen? Or is my oleophobic layer been "chipped off"? When I turn off the screen and try to look for it, it is not visible at all, just when I breathe on it or if it has some wetness to the screen. I don't want to exchange it out for another surface since I have no other issues with this one.

Mine has these streaks as well. Got like 3 different spots that it does it. It's kind of annoying but I didn't want to have to replace mine either since I don't have any other problems with mine. I just use a microfiber cloth and they go away until I get fingerprints on it again lol.

Edit: You can see mine in certain lighting if looking for it.

OP
CustomSurfaceP2
Mine is not streaks, the streaks dont show up on the screen but it affects the smooth gliding of my pen in those areas. Cant wipe it off with cloth.

jtuck82

Mine is not streaks, the streaks dont show up on the screen but it affects the smooth gliding of my pen in those areas. Cant wipe it off with cloth.

I have something very similiar to this though and saw you mentioned streaks on the above post.
If I use my fingernail I can feel the streak. If I use my pen I can't and everything is smooth. If I breathe on the screen it shows up like crazy. The weird thing is fingerprints from normal use make the (streaks) or whatever it is show up. If I use a microfiber cloth to wipe off the screen I can't see them unless I breathe on the screen. I don't have a clue what it is lol. I considered swapping it out but I seem to have a good SP3 unit other than this. Our issue sounds similar but different too idk.

David Puddy

I had this issue and found they were very tiny scratches that showed up after using a kind of micro fibre cloth. They were invisible in all angles and light, could not feel with my finger. I could only feel them when running the stylus over them. I believe the surface scratches very easily . I took two of them back and on my third, just trying to be very careful with it when I wipe it. Even so, I still managed to get one tiny spot where I can feel the roughness with the stylus.

OP
CustomSurfaceP2
That is so weird, if I breath on the glass I can see the where the streak is and it looks as if you had ran your fingernail over paint that has not been fully dried. I am taking it to the store today to see if I can exchange it out and I'll test the one in store before taking it home and report back. Its a big issue for me since I draw a lot and it feels like I'm driving over gravel when my pen hits those spots.

OP
CustomSurfaceP2
Switched out my surface 3 today at the store, the screen on the new one is silky smooth, now fingers crossed that everything else works like a charm.

jtuck82

That is so weird, if I breath on the glass I can see the where the streak is and it looks as if you had ran your fingernail over paint that has not been fully dried. I am taking it to the store today to see if I can exchange it out and I'll test the one in store before taking it home and report back. Its a big issue for me since I draw a lot and it feels like I'm driving over gravel when my pen hits those spots.

What programs do you use to draw with? I just have Photoshop elements 10 and I installed the N-trig win tab drivers but it doesn't seem very fluid and a little bit laggy every time I pick up the pen. I have the free version of sketchbook express but was just curious what type of program you use with your SP3.

luke31

That's so odd. I noticed the same exact thing happening with mine yesterday, so I drove back to Best Buy and exchange for a new one. I have a Manvex folio case on it that covers the vents a little bit. Maybe it was the excess heat causing some heat or adhesive to morph the display? I don't want the problem to appear again. I had my SP3 for less than a week before I noticed it.

Seneleron

that showed up after using a kind of micro fibre cloth.

This sounds like something with your cleaning cloth. The whole POINT of microfiber is that it is not made of any material that will scratch glass and plastic. I say this not because I've been using micro fiber cloths to clean my screens for decades, but because I've used them to clean my GLASSES for about 25 years. I have *NEVER* had a microfiber cloth scratch my glasses, and I can PROMISE you that a polycarbonate correctional lense is a lot more susceptible to scratching than gorilla glass.

It's either that or the screen wasn't finished properly and you're simply cleaning out whatever residue is left over in the . . . "micro scratches" [not sure what else to call it]