What's new

Some questions on my SP3

orkikus

Hi guys

I'am a new owner of Surface Pro 3 - I5 4gb 128ssd. I've some questions about this machine:

- I have been using Microsoft Stylus to edit some pdfs but it is not cofortable for me, so I end up using my own hand and write notes on PDF with the keyboard. I think this is because I'm not used to.

- I know that Microsoft Stylus can be used as a mouse (open apps, browse the web...). The screen predict very well what you want to do when you approach the pointer to the screen. Is there any compatible Pen that does this function? For example, Wacom, Targus, etc. Is this an exclusive function of Microsoft Stylus?

I tried Xodo PDF because it is free on Windows Store. People talk wonders about DrawPDF, but it cost 9€ (I know, just three beers) and I would like to try with free software.

- I use my Surface mainly as desktop pc, always connected to AC. ¿Is there any problem with this? (maybe it affects battery). My battery % was stuck at 99% when full charge, but with the last Windows update (this week) % is now 100%. I thought that when battery is full, and the AC still connected, there is no problem with battery because the electricuty goes directly from the charger to the Tablet, avoiding the battery. Is this correct?

- Last, I have deactivated all background apps because the fun was always at max level. I have noticed this has changed, but perhaps it is still early to conclude.

This is all. Hope you understand my explanation. Sorry for my english !

kundas1

welcome to the forum! :D

I don't know how you can find using the pen uncomfortable as it is just like holding a pen (for me anyways) perhaps play with the tilt on the stand till you find a comfortable position... that might help you greatly.

leaving the SP3 connected is fine, but to keep the battery OPTIMIZED let the battery go down to 10% / 7% and then fully charge it every 3 weeks to a month... its the charging cycles that shorten the battery life and completely letting the battery go DEAD is worse.

because you just purchased the SP3 perhaps it is still doing updates and did you recently UPGRADE your SP3? on a new machine it isn't unusual for the machine to sort itself out for a couple of days possibly a week.. if you still feel it is running to much and the fan is still blowing like crazy then maybe your device has a defective heat sink/fan. On my device it stays very cool until I start gaming on it and then the fan will kick in...

OP
O

orkikus

Thank you for your answer, kundas1

With respect to the pen, maybe I should try it more times. As I said above, maybe the problema is that I used it only for ten minutes or less.

I understand what you say about battery. I write it down !

According to Windows updates, I think my SP3 works pretty well. I can tell that after deactivating background apps and after using the Tablet all the evening, the fan never sound like before. I think the problem is solved now.

Thank you.

OP
O

orkikus

Hi again mates

I installed HWMonitor to see my cpu temp and it shows 150 ºF. Is not this much? Fan at max level, of course.

Thank you

EDIT

The problem was a suspicious process about Windows Update. It was eating 50% cpu. I finalized it and all is ok know. 120ºF now. I think is is good when using office and browsing the web. Also, it`s summer

Last edited:

kundas1

there ya go, I knew it was something to do with updates... glad to hear you got it sorted out...