What's new

Solved Garmn Vivosmart "unrecognized device" WIn 10

Groc-1

Surface Pro 6, latest Win 10 Home with Updates.
Vivosmart HR and Vivosmart 4 activity devices. Plug into the USB socket and I get "Unrecognixed Device" even tho I'm using the Garmin supplied software (same message with TomTom GPS device)
BUT, they work just fine on an ASUS Notebook running Win10 - also with the latest updates.
Did an online search for alternative drivers without any luck.
Can't back out f the updates to see it that is the problem.
Suggestions welcomed..

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, @Groc-1

Try this:
On your “Unrecognized Device”, find it in Settings, Device Manager, right-click Settings, Hardware tab, Properties, Driver tab, then select “Search automaticlly for updated driver ...”

Let us know ...

OP
G

Groc-1

Hello, @Groc-1

Try this:
On your “Unrecognized Device”, find it in Settings, Device Manager, right-click Settings, Hardware tab, Properties, Driver tab, then select “Search automaticlly for updated driver ...”

Let us know ...
I tried that, but no driver found. Contacted Garmin. They said the driver is in the downloaded software.
Pointed thes earch to that directory (including subs) but still couldn't find (or recognize?) the driver.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I would call Garmin back again. Your Vivosmart is a premium device. You deserve premium service.

You may want to find a friend or colleague or person in a library with a Surface Pro 6 who would volunteer to let you plug into their device for a moment to see if it works on that other machine.

You may want to reveal your location, to find some noble volunteer from this forum, should you choose that route.

OP
G

Groc-1

I would call Garmin back again. Your Vivosmart is a premium device. You deserve premium service.

You may want to find a friend or colleague or person in a library with a Surface Pro 6 who would volunteer to let you plug into their device for a moment to see if it works on that other machine.

You may want to reveal your location, to find some noble volunteer from this forum, should you choose that route.
Richland WA... I'll call Garmin again on Monday, but I don't hold out any hope from that quarter !!

OP
G

Groc-1

Richland WA... I'll call Garmin again on Monday, but I don't hold out any hope from that quarter !!
This morning there were 3 Win 10 updates. One was a "Feature Update" that specifically mentioned "Garmin" !!
Installed all 3 -- took over 1 hour with many. many reboots.
Device now recognized! I wonder if Garmon had a chat with Microsoft !!
How do I close this thread?