What's new

Slooooooooooooow disk speed

raqball

I picked up a Surface Book today. I got the i5/8/128GB version..

A few thoughts 1st:

1. I really like the fit and finish of the SB.
2. Like the detachable clipboard.
3. KB and trackpad are nice and almost into MacBook territory
4. Mine has no screen bleed.

Now onto my main issue.. Disk speed! It's beyond terrible! This is like going back 5 years and then some. In comparison I also have a 2016 MacBook 12" computer that's the core m5/8/512 version. My read and write speed on the MacBook are lightning fast~!

This is what I am getting on the SB.. Thoughts? Write speeds on my MacBook are about 6x faster..

SB_Disk_Speeds.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you applied all the updates? One improved SSD performance for Samsung SSDs....

OP
raqball

raqball

It says I have... After setup it would not offer the anniversary update so I downloaded the tool and installed it that way. Now when I check it says it's up to date..

I realize the 128 drive will be slower but 150 read? That's pretty bad!

OP
raqball

raqball

Samsung MZFLV128..

It's not the end of the world although I do transfer some 1080p video daily but I honestly expected speeds faster than that.. Read is a-ok by me but the write speed is horrendous..

Suppose I can just use my core m5 MacBook for the video files if needed..

Edit: I found this link for the SSD so my test looks 'normal'. How can it be so slow?

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/36806/NVMe-SAMSUNG-MZFLV128

OP
raqball

raqball

By comparison here is a test I just ran on my 2016 Macbook 12" core m5/8/512.. I do realize the MacBook has a 512 GB drive and that it's also faster but the difference is substantial when it comes to write speed..

Screen_Shot_2016_08_23_at_8_29_48_PM.png