What's new

Sleep not working Fall creators update

hello everyone,

Is it just me or other users are having the same issue of their surface book not going into sleep mode? with the newest fall creators update, it no longer will go into sleep mode. When I hit sleep mode the display will turn off but if I hit a key or move the mouse it is still on. Also if I leave it untouched for hours it no longer goes into sleep mode. My power settings are good and I resettled them to factory settings. That still didn’t work.

Anyone else deal with this or has found a fix?

Niterider4

Sleep is supposed to wake up if a key is pressed or the mouse is moved.

It sounds like you're talking about hibernate which is a deeper sleep, in essence.

What do you have set under Power Options, Change when the computer sleeps?

Hey,
Thanks for your insight. That’s strange because ever since I owned my surface book I disabled hibernate through the power settings by setting the value to 0 (never) for both plugged in mode and on power for hibernate.

However, maybe I am mistaken regarding hibernate? Because I did have to always hit the power button to turn the computer back on. When I was away from the computer for 1-2+ hours. I originally just had settings for sleep at 60 minutes.

The fact that I had to hit the power button to turn the computer back on confirms that it was in hibernate mode? Or was it in hybrid sleep since I know I set the settings under advance power options to have hibernate never at 0 values.

I appreciate anyone’s insight and input regarding this. Also, does anyone use hybrid sleep for surface book or just hibernation by default?

Niterider4

Sleep and hibernate on the SB, as with many Windows 10 devices, has generally been brutal. The first batch of SB's had horrible problems with sleep and hibernate, often refusing to wake from either one.

Pressing the power button to wake would be consistent with Sleep or Hibernate. The difference is that with Sleep the computer should come back very, very quickly, like just turning on the screen. With Hibernate, the computer actually has to pull the current state from the SSD back into RAM, so there is a bit of a delay. The SB is powerful enough that emerging from Hibernate is fairly quick, but still it's noticeably longer than waking from sleep.

I have avoided Hibernate on all Windows devices since I can remember, because Windows has been plagued with Hibernate issues since Windows XP. Sleep seems to work well on my refurbished SB, so I just use that. I see so little battery drain using Sleep that it doesn't seem worth it to use Hibernate.

Niterider4

Also, if you don't use Hibernate at all, you can disable it and delete the hiberfil.sys file, which will give you back a ton of SSD space.

mikecox

I disabled Hibernate at the command line, which I read removes the hiberfil.sys file. When I was done I rebooted but "free space" did not increase.

mikecox

Do a search for hiberfil.sys and delete it if you find it. It's a giant file.

Apparently disabling it from the command line actually does "removes the hiberfil" file because my search can't find it. But my volume never changed after I removed it. Which seems odd, if, as you say, "it's a giant file". Maybe it's because I never put my computer in Hibernate mode? I've always used Sleep because I've been warned away from Hibernate.

Niterider4

Disabling hibernate from the command line should delete hiberfil.sys. If hibernate was previously enabled, then you should have had a hiberfil.sys file. Perhaps it was never enabled, in which case the file would never have been created (or deleted).

Or maybe it was stored on a different drive partition - unlikely, but possible.

mikecox

Disabling hibernate from the command line should delete hiberfil.sys. If hibernate was previously enabled, then you should have had a hiberfil.sys file. Perhaps it was never enabled, in which case the file would never have been created (or deleted).

Or maybe it was stored on a different drive partition - unlikely, but possible.
Sounds right to me. Thanks for the follow-up.

cbrooker

hello everyone,

Is it just me or other users are having the same issue of their surface book not going into sleep mode? with the newest fall creators update, it no longer will go into sleep mode. When I hit sleep mode the display will turn off but if I hit a key or move the mouse it is still on. Also if I leave it untouched for hours it no longer goes into sleep mode. My power settings are good and I resettled them to factory settings. That still didn’t work.

Anyone else deal with this or has found a fix?

I'm having the same problem. Surface Book working flawlessly for months. I installed the creators updated and started having all kinds of weird problems with the pen and battery. Figured, the OS needed a good reset. Fully Reset the machine removing all files. Reinstalled all the updates including the Fall Creators Update. Machine still not sleeping properly.

It goes off but never goes into deep sleep. Will close the lid at night and lose 50% battery. A powercfg /sleepstudy shows that it never goes into deep sleep and stays in a High power state until the battery dies.

Downloaded the Surface Book's latest recovery image and fully reinstalled Windows from USB. Everything is working great now BUT I haven't yet reinstalled the Fall Creators Update. About to do that now. Wish me luck.

cbrooker

I'm having the same problem. Surface Book working flawlessly for months. I installed the creators updated and started having all kinds of weird problems with the pen and battery. Figured, the OS needed a good reset. Fully Reset the machine removing all files. Reinstalled all the updates including the Fall Creators Update. Machine still not sleeping properly.

It goes off but never goes into deep sleep. Will close the lid at night and lose 50% battery. A powercfg /sleepstudy shows that it never goes into deep sleep and stays in a High power state until the battery dies.

Downloaded the Surface Book's latest recovery image and fully reinstalled Windows from USB. Everything is working great now BUT I haven't yet reinstalled the Fall Creators Update. About to do that now. Wish me luck.

It's definitely the update. Fresh install of 1706 and didn't install any additional software. Closed the lid and left it. Came back started it up ran a sleep study and everything is good.

Installed the Fall Creators update 1709 16299.19, closed the lid and left it. Came back, turned it on (wasn't in deep sleep), ran a sleep report and it didn't get into deep sleep.

First green sleep is 1706, the red is after installing 1709.
upload_2017-10-31_21-44-26.png

upload_2017-10-31_21-45-29.png

upload_2017-10-31_21-46-6.png

Any ideas? I've fully reinstalled Windows 3 times now.