What's new

Skype Now Hides Your IP Address by Default

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Skype_ip-address.png

When Skype first came out, it had one flaw that some folks might have had a problem with. While you were using it, Skype basically broadcast your IP address to anyone who wanted to take a few extra steps to find it.
Some time after Microsoft purchased it and added it to their repertoire of software services, they added in the ability to hide your IP; however, it wasn't activated by default. That has now changed.

For anyone who uses Skype on any platform, the latest update automatically hides your IP address by default now. Here's a quote from the Skype blog with the details,

"To our gamers: IP will now be hidden by default in latest update

Skype is fully committed to delivering as safe and secure of an experience as possible to our customers. We have recently introduced the ability to hide a Skype user’s IP address and we’ve set this as a default status in the latest versions of Skype.

Starting with this update to Skype and moving forward, your IP address will be kept hidden from Skype users. This measure will help prevent individuals from obtaining a Skype ID and resolving to an IP address.

You can find this update in the latest versions of Skype on desktop and mobile devices, which you can download here. We also recommend you update Skype across your devices to ensure you benefit from the best experience possible." ~ Skype Blog

Sound off if this latest change to Skype matters to you.

Skype have done nothing to stop the scam contact requests. A quick look at the email address, or the screen name, tells you that it is a scam and every time I have declined the scam request, I get even more. Strangely, all my contact requests have been female, white, but with an African name.