What's new

Skylake details leak - GPU performance gains up to 41%

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ref: http://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-skylake-spec-leak-up-to-41-percent-graphics-boost/

Four variants are detailed, with the Y-series, U-series, and H-series all being mobile BGA-packaged chips aimed at mainstream notebooks, ultraportables, and high-end notebooks respectively.

The slides claim that performance is up by 17 percent, 10 percent, and 11 percent respectively

the Y- and U-series chips will both see up to 1.4 hours longer battery life when powering a typical system.

But the real performance boost is in the graphics department, with significant improvements across the board for the integrated Intel HD Graphics chip:

• Y-series: Up to 41 percent faster
  • U-series: Up to 34 percent faster

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what I want to ear :) Assuming it is accurate (I have a bit of a thing about pre-release performance claims,,

Cpu is already fast enough on the sp3 in my opinion, and with this fingers crossed throttling may be less of an issue. GPU performance is where I wanted my upgrade :) Wouldn't be surprised if i'd be able to play gta 5 on low setting quite happily with that kind of performance hike.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have thought it would give us some kind of indication as to the type of improvements we can expect. Something slightly more substantial than rumour and marketing slides that is :)

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have thought it would give us some kind of indication as to the type of improvements we can expect. Something slightly more substantial than rumour and marketing slides that is :)
These are the unlocked overclocking 91W behemoths with full afterburners. The rumors might be more useful by comparison. :) Even I wouldn't attempt to scale an estimate down to 4W - 15W :D

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know nothing on the whole :) I just consider it as something more concrete than nothing :D either way the review hasn't left me feeling too impressed :p

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This review is mostly about raw power of the CPU and GPU and actually there are some bright spots there. However Skylake brings a lot of new technologies with it that frankly this raw power crowd wont give a hoot about but there's much to be appreciated for the Ultrabook and Tablet user in the new technologies... WiGig, wireless charging, 3D camera enhancements. latest USB/Tunderbolt, etc. etc. The fact that a reviewer posted 5.0ghz overclocking on a new chip is remarkable; no your SP4 wont do it :)

We're looking for the 1.6L 4 cylinder economy model and they have the big honking Custom Shelby Edition Super Turbocharged 6L 8 cylinder. They don't care about no power saving mobile wireless gizmo, they want a water cooled hardwired to the mains power monster.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skylake GPU enhancements ... that will improve things for the mobile tribe

"Whereas Broadwell implemented HEVC decoding in a "hybrid" fashion using a combination of CPU resources, GPU shaders, and existing GPU video decode blocks, Skylake gets a full, low power fixed function HEVC decoder. For desktop users this shouldn't impact things by too much - maybe improve compatibility a tad - but for mobile platforms this should significantly cut down on the amount of power consumed by HEVC decoding and increase the size and bitrate that the CPU can decode. Going hand-in-hand with HEVC decoding, HEVC encoding is now also an option with Intel's QuickSync encoder, allowing for quicker HEVC transcoding, or more likely real-time HEVC uses such as video conferencing."​

Those dedicated decoders and encoders that cut down the amount of power consumed translates into faster operation and cooler operation which means less thermal throttling... this is like a feedback loop I run cooler so I can raise the clock rate to run faster because I'm not pushing the thermal limit. But don't expect throttling to disappear completely.