What's new

SF3 isn't replacing my 5 yr old laptop

Tim Finnigan

Just FYI-
1. the keyboard commands for excel (now 2013) I have used for ever and work on my 5 yr old laptop- most do NOT work on SFP3- I haven't found where new kboard commands are listed. Page-Down opens up the SAVE AS window, CTRL-HOME does not go home, it opens up a web page - good grief!!!!

2. Excel is shuting down more often. Even when it appears to work and save and shut down normally. When I start up and open excel I am confronted with all kinds of saved and repaired files. Half my files in one folder have saved or repaired written next to them. these issues proliferate file quantity and with SFP3's proclivity for saving to the DAMN one drive at different times - I am hating that thing more and more. it doesn't synch my work. probably my fault for not learning more but I want files where I PUT them not where M/S wants them

3. Windows Defender and Hitman pro show no problems but surfing is a SUPER chore- period. ANY time I touch a Microsoft web site I am buried with pop up adds, and diverted to tech support screens which look like MS but are not. I periodically get screens with messages about running slow and unwanted popups- THAT screen can NOT be turned off or closed - I must exit internet explorer from the TASK MGR.

when I surf forward on a link (page 2) if I try to go back the screen goes dull, the miserable little dots run across the browser and it takes a ridiculous amount of wait time. Its actually quicker to pull up the original link and go to where I was rather than go backwards.

the Bluetooth mouse quits on a very regular basis- if I go to the Bluetooth screen it starts working before I do anything.

I really want to like this - (and not regret $2100 for everything to replace my laptop) but the % of time I spend trouble shooting is terrible-
I have temporarily given up using my large monitor- if I I fix the monitor, the sfp3 goes awry- if I fix the sfp3, the monitor looks crappy

Difficulties surfing are the most disappointing - help? I feel it is scarce and hard to get answers. I have been to the M/S store 4 times - you'd never know I have been using computers for ever, I keep my 5 yr old Toshiba right next to me- if I am working I will often use that so as not to be hindered
Great screen - great colors- movies are awesome- size is PERFECT for actually being able to WORK on a dang plane
I can't preview this-
Thx, Tim

leeshor

It sounds to me like most of your problems may be the result of malware in your system that isn't obvious to you, but there anyway. I suggest at the minimum that you do a custom scan with Malwarebytes.

Please only post once. Cross posting, (duplicates) is a violation of the forum guidelines.

OP
T

Tim Finnigan

It sounds to me like most of your problems may be the result of malware in your system that isn't obvious to you, but there anyway. I suggest at the minimum that you do a custom scan with Malwarebytes.

Please only post once. Cross posting, (duplicates) is a violation of the forum guidelines.
thank you- didn't mean to post twice but the preview buttons and post to thread button were not working, the page was hung up for quite some time - I let it run and went to do other things. Will check Malwarebytes!!

Liam2349

1) Surface Pro 3 runs Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, and as such it supports 100% of Windows and Office shortcuts.

Your issue here is that you need to change the lock on your function keys. Press Fn + Caps simultaneously to do this. Locking the function keys switches between default functions such as PgDn and F12. You can also hold Fn to temporarily switch between these.

2) Not sure what your issue is here, but I save all of my documents to OneDrive by default.

3) Sounds like you have a virus or some malware. Swiping back in IE Metro is slower than clicking the back arrow but not massively.

Download AVG Free and hopefully it will get rid of your infections, if not then I suggest you reinstall Windows from within the recovery options and purchase a good AV solution to prevent future infections, such as AVG Internet Security 2015 which works extremely well and is very lightweight. Other people will probably recommend Kaspersky and BitDefender which are good but I have not personally used them.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried plugging in an external keyboard to use the shortcuts, I think Liam is right, the function keys are set up for another function as default on the surface keyboard, but with an "ordinary " keyboard it should function as expected... or when you use the function lock on the Surface keyboard as Liam describes.

By the way I use bitdefender anti virus and it is excellent.

HolF

So for your malware or virus, the only good recomendation would be a complete re-installation of your surface. From an uninfected source, not the recovery partition. At least that would be what I would do...

And for the antivirus: Since Windows 7 I use the Microsoft Security Essentials (changed to the Windows Defender on 8) and I never had any viruses.

And btw, some "freeware" also comes with adware, so antivirus would not help in any way....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I give you a perfect 10 for this rant. :)

Follow the advices given above as well as your own "Learn more"

I'll give you, swipe back is horribly dysfunctional. Like the girl attempting to grab the dollar on the fishing line; if you're *fast* you can swipe forward again to prevent the state of suspended animation otherwise you are relegated to purgatory for committing UI Gesture sins :eek:

Last edited: