What's new

Seven Months with Surface RT

TrentonT

Well I am into my 7th month on my Surface RT. It has been a joy way beyond any expectation that I had. I
have been playing with different "Pads" for a while trying to see where they fit my needs and work styles and they had been coming up short. Do
not get me wrong the other pads a great "toys" but that that was their design and purpose.

The entire design was personal consumption of media and social media. Not practical as a working tool
"for me".

As I said 7 months with Surface now and it goes everywhere with me. It is not suited to every task I
have but enough to make it a very essential part of my day.

Communication Tool - Excellent - really looking forward to Outlook for RT

The major part of my time is spent supporting Flash based web sites Surface gives me a lot of flexibility
here small and dependable.

Is always on and charges every 3 to 4 days cannot beat it.
Fast - convenient and flexible with all the tools cannot be beat it.
Was really looking to wait for the Surface Pro but wanted this as soon as it was available.
Very satisfied user.

No issues - lockups (I mean None) - connection issues - touch pad problems - or issues of any kind since first
boot. Works as it should when I need it

TeknoBlast

I cant wait for MS to announce a 8" Surface RT. As much as I love using my Pro, sometimes I don't like taking it to work just for video viewing.

kristalsoldier

I cant wait for MS to announce a 8" Surface RT. As much as I love using my Pro, sometimes I don't like taking it to work just for video viewing.

I'm not eager for a 7 or 8 inch Surface. Two reasons - (1) the form factor - don't like it too much and (2) if I did go for that size, I'd probably opt for Android because I would use the tab - primarily - as an e-reader. In fact, recently, I was thinking of the Samsung Note with that S-Pen (or whatever it is called) for precisely that function. I'd rather my Surface machine be the size it is...the only question is whether I would want the Pro the next time over. While I am totally satisfied - as of now - with the RT, there are two issues that I have with it - (1) Unable to install another browser - by itself that is not a problem since IE10 works well, but I would like to install Tor and some other security/ privacy apps, which will (most likely) never be possible on the RT platform. (2) I would like to have that Ethernet-via-USB connection like the Pro does on the RT. I think that is also a very convenient backup option (aside from 3G, which I expect anyways in the next iteration of both the RT and the Pro).

TeknoBlast

I'm not eager for a 7 or 8 inch Surface. Two reasons - (1) the form factor - don't like it too much and (2) if I did go for that size, I'd probably opt for Android because I would use the tab - primarily - as an e-reader. In fact, recently, I was thinking of the Samsung Note with that S-Pen (or whatever it is called) for precisely that function. I'd rather my Surface machine be the size it is...the only question is whether I would want the Pro the next time over. While I am totally satisfied - as of now - with the RT, there are two issues that I have with it - (1) Unable to install another browser - by itself that is not a problem since IE10 works well, but I would like to install Tor and some other security/ privacy apps, which will (most likely) never be possible on the RT platform. (2) I would like to have that Ethernet-via-USB connection like the Pro does on the RT. I think that is also a very convenient backup option (aside from 3G, which I expect anyways in the next iteration of both the RT and the Pro).

I actually have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, which I use mostly for movie or show viewing, but the OS on it is clunky. I like the size of it and all, but man, the OS is slow. Other than that, it works okay.

kristalsoldier

I actually have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, which I use mostly for movie or show viewing, but the OS on it is clunky. I like the size of it and all, but man, the OS is slow. Other than that, it works okay.

Hmmm...interesting! What version of the OS is it running. My Nexus 10 is on 4.2.2 and it is just fine. Not too sure if Samsung put their own stuff over the OS though. But this Android thing for me would probably only extend to my phone and no more - much easier to tease out an extra 6 months or a year out of an Android phone, as per my experience. For tabs, I'd tend to MS any day.

mitchellvii

I'd be much happier with Surface as a tablet if they would make a stylus work like the stylus on my Note II. For those who don't know, the stylus on the Note II works just like your fingertip for navigation. Don't know why MS can't achieve this.

Tom T

I'd be much happier with Surface as a tablet if they would make a stylus work like the stylus on my Note II. For those who don't know, the stylus on the Note II works just like your fingertip for navigation. Don't know why MS can't achieve this.

That is a good question, I have a Samsung Ativ 500 win8 tablet which also uses the Wacom digitizer and it has this functionality out of the box.