What's new

Settings for docking

stevenB

I use the Microsoft Surface Dock connected to 2 external monitors via mini display port to HDMI connection. I frequenter un-dock and dock my computer to go to meetings throughout the day. the problem i am having is that when i re-connect my Surface Book to the dock, the system does not come up on the external displays. I have tried hibernate and sleep mode for when the lid is closed. what is the suggested power settings for docking, so the lid can be closed but the book will wake up on the external monitors when docked.

thanks.

WaVeS

I have this issue as well. Same set up. Most of the time I just wait a few minutes and use the windows key + p to switch my device to "PC screen only" wait a second and then switch it back to "Extended". Doesn't always work. Sometimes I boot with the dock plugged in and only one monitor will come up after doing this. I get a DPI issue that involves me needing to sign out and log back in to fix the blurriness. I've tired other cables and used active adapters, didn't make a difference. Everything is up to date, currently working on Serpico's fix from this thread.

I think I got it - this is a compiled routine from several forums and boards. I Ran this exactly as listed below and sleep appears to be working properly now (solid for 4 days). I am running SP4 fully patched with latest drivers installed.

This is a rather in depth routine, please follow all the steps in order and don't skip around:

Run the COMMAND PROMPT (ADMIN) and enter:
sfc /scannow

If the report comes back detailing errors/missing/corrupt files then run the more advanced command in the same window:
Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If the report comes back with Error code: 0x800f081f then your Surface has missing and corrupt files (having to do with Windows Updates). Run the following to correct:

Step 1: Download the Windows 10 64 Bit ISO from the Tech Bench Upgrade Program using this link (just the 64 bit ISO - nothing else is required): Tech Bench

Step 2: Delete any existing CBS Log file: The path is: "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

Step 3: Mount the downloaded Windows 10 64 Bit ISO file "Win10_1511_English_x64", do not run (auto) setup.exe.

Step 4: Run the DISM command in Command Prompt (Admin):
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

* Note: Make sure that the source drive letter is correct. In this example above the source of the Mounted ISO is E ("/source:WIM:E:"). Check the file explorer after mounting the ISO for the correct drive letter.

Step 5: Run (again) the COMMAND PROMPT (ADMIN) and enter:
sfc /scannow

If the report comes back detailing errors/missing/corrupt files, REBOOT the SP4. DON'T SKIP THIS - DON'T BE LAZY - THIS REBOOT IS NECESSARY.

AFTER REBOOT:

Step 1: Delete any existing CBS Log file. The path is: "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

Step 2: Mount the downloaded Windows 10 64 Bit ISO file "Win10_1511_English_x64", do not run (auto) setup.exe.

Step 3: Run (again) the DISM command in Command Prompt (Admin):
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Step 4: Run (again) the COMMAND PROMPT (ADMIN) and enter:
sfc /scannow

YOU MAY NEED to re-run 1 - 4 above with a restart in-between a couple times to clear all errors.

The work above is a compilation of several authors (not me) ~ I do not take credit nor responsibility. I am simply sharing what worked for me.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think there are any settings. For me it is completely hit and miss. Sometimes it works just fine, other times i'll have to unplug the magnetic connector and reconnect a couple of times, other times i have to unplug the DP cables from the dock, and other times I am required to restart the surface.

Intellibeam

Unless you have a VGA monitor and are rockin a SP2 dock, you can try till the cows come home. Nothing will work for you and it hasn't since the SP3. How there aren't more threads on the Sp3/Sp4 docks being terrible is beyond me.

bluegrass

I have setup and installed about two dozen Surface 3's in my organization. All on docks and all with one or two VGA interface monitors. I always setup Surfaces so that closing the lid does nothing. Nobody uses the Surface screen anyway unless going solo with it, like to a meeting. I haven't heard one complaint such as described in this thread. I also always increase text size to 150% and screen resolution to 1600 x 900. This combination gives a nice easy reading size and fills up the monitors screens.

I know that Surfaces or pretty fragile (not running up to a lot peoples expectations) with some things occasionally not working 100% correctly. With the exception of needing to play around with the power on switch and volume switch to get their Surface powered on, knock on wood, I rarely have had service calls on them. I was a little scared of putting these on my clients desks after reading about all the problems people seem to have here on this forum. I kind of attribute the reason for so many complaints here is the fact that it seems that most of the users on this forum have a strong knowledge of computers, digging into a lot of stuff that ordinary user don't do. Most of my users simply run the apps and don't do a lot of investigating. It seems that the ones that do, get themselves in trouble when they try something and not like the change but don't know how to get it back to normal.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have setup and installed about two dozen Surface 3's in my organization. All on docks and all with one or two VGA interface monitors. I always setup Surfaces so that closing the lid does nothing. Nobody uses the Surface screen anyway unless going solo with it, like to a meeting. I haven't heard one complaint such as described in this thread..

Now configure the surface to go to sleep when the cover is closed and see if anything changes. Once it is on and running, it is flawless, but once it goes to sleep for the night, that's a different story (for me, and many others). Also, I have a surface 3, and surface pro 4, and when I had them both at home over Christmas, I had far fewer issues with external monitors with the S3 than the SP4.

Intellibeam

I have setup and installed about two dozen Surface 3's in my organization. All on docks and all with one or two VGA interface monitors.

And that's why I mentioned VGA monitors, because they work. I'd love to use the mini displayport that they so conveniently have on the Surface to connect to my mini displayport monitor I spent $1000 on. Guess I should have splurged for the $100 one instead.......

I never close anything. I walk away and it sleeps after an hour. I hit a key on the keyboard and either my monitor has my desktop or the Surface. If it's my monitor, I win! If it's my Surface, it's a reboot or pulling the dock power cable to fix it.....

mclark2112

And that's why I mentioned VGA monitors, because they work. I'd love to use the mini displayport that they so conveniently have on the Surface to connect to my mini displayport monitor I spent $1000 on. Guess I should have splurged for the $100 one instead.......

I never close anything. I walk away and it sleeps after an hour. I hit a key on the keyboard and either my monitor has my desktop or the Surface. If it's my monitor, I win! If it's my Surface, it's a reboot or pulling the dock power cable to fix it.....

Ah, the reboot lottery. Mine isn't even set to sleep in the dock, but I do have the screen go blank after 15 minutes. Sometimes it just never comes back..

Edwin Hills

I have setup and installed about two dozen Surface 3's in my organization. All on docks and all with one or two VGA interface monitors. I always setup Surfaces so that closing the lid does nothing. Nobody uses the Surface screen anyway unless going solo with it, like to a meeting. I haven't heard one complaint such as described in this thread. I also always increase text size to 150% and screen resolution to 1600 x 900. This combination gives a nice easy reading size and fills up the monitors screens.

I know that Surfaces or pretty fragile (not running up to a lot peoples expectations) with some things occasionally not working 100% correctly. With the exception of needing to play around with the power on switch and volume switch to get their Surface powered on, knock on wood, I rarely have had service calls on them. I was a little scared of putting these on my clients desks after reading about all the problems people seem to have here on this forum. I kind of attribute the reason for so many complaints here is the fact that it seems that most of the users on this forum have a strong knowledge of computers, digging into a lot of stuff that ordinary user don't do. Most of my users simply run the apps and don't do a lot of investigating. It seems that the ones that do, get themselves in trouble when they try something and not like the change but don't know how to get it back to normal.
Just so that I'm on the same page as you. (they like to say that here) you are not using the DVI but VGA? Im having a heck of a time with one of my surface pro 3's , ive used both the docking station and the brick. Its not a happy site when we try to set up multiple monitors. We've had to buy the adapter with 3 Display Ports on it to make these things behave with multiple monitors. TIA