What's new

Settings, Edge, Action Centre won't open

hockinsk

Fresh Install, but new Surface Book won't open Windows Settings. Other issues that seem related - can't even use right click on desktop to get into Display Settings, as I get an error saying ms-settings:display doesn't have an associated program.
Cortana won't respond/open any Microsoft native apps using commands, only 3rd Party apps. e.g. it will open Google Chroome, but can't open IE or Edge. Microsoft Edge opens when clicked manually for a couple of seconds then crashes and disapears.
Any ideas? Sounds like it's a Windows 10 issue looking at the internet, but can't believe a new machine is this bad out the box?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Fresh Install, but new Surface Book won't open Windows Settings. Other issues that seem related - can't even use right click on desktop to get into Display Settings, as I get an error saying ms-settings:display doesn't have an associated program.
Cortana won't respond/open any Microsoft native apps using commands, only 3rd Party apps. e.g. it will open Google Chroome, but can't open IE or Edge. Microsoft Edge opens when clicked manually for a couple of seconds then crashes and disapears.
Any ideas? Sounds like it's a Windows 10 issue looking at the internet, but can't believe a new machine is this bad out the box?
When you say Fresh Install - what do mean exactly? Is this the default out of the box install? Did you do a clean install with Windows 10? If you haven't wiped out the Factory Install you can try a Factory Reset.

OP
H

hockinsk

Yes, so just opened the box and followed instructions to setup. First thing I did was click on settings icon and nothing happened. Looked in event viewer logs and errors are relating to settings and edge crashing basically. Ran Surface Diagnostics App which didn't find any problems. Downloaded and installed latest Surface Firmware & Drivers but has made no difference.
I think i'll just send this back. Factory Reset 3 times today and there's better things to do lol.

OP
H

hockinsk

I should probably explain, because I can't access Windows Settings as it doesn't exist, I can't use the Factory Reset from within Settings > Update and Recovery. I have to reboot and install a fresh install using Shift Key & Clicking Restart at login screen.

OP
H

hockinsk

I'm returning it, thing has so many Windows 10 bugs, it would take weeks to investigate and fix. Amazed it gets through the whole install reset off the recovery partition, yet is so fundamentally broken once running and actually successfully boots as if all is normal? Think i'll go back to trusty Thinkpads.

OP
H

hockinsk

For anyone experience similar issues, i've managed to resolve it. What was happening was Windows Update was causing the issues. I was installing using the install of Windows that comes with the Surface Book on the partition. Automatic Updates then install at the end of this setup and you can no longer access Settings, Edge, Action Centre, Display, Open native apps, use Cortana etc.
To resolve the issue I just downloaded the Media Creation Tool and did an install of Windows 10 (1709)