What's new

Sent in my New Surface Pro 128gb for replacement

OP
L

lenny7118

I have read that it must be returned to the place of purchase.
I do know that Staples would exchange for a brand new one but I don't have one to send back to staples.

Well the crap still flows from MS. I was told last Monday that my surface was shipped and that tonight I was going to get a call from MS support to check to see if everything was working ok. WELL I never hot a new surface yet and it still hasn't shipped as MS stated to me twice this week. I never got an email with the FedEx tracking number as I was told by Microsoft.

quixoteloco

any updates Lenny? Man, I created mine on the 18th, had it shipped, they received it and they have no idea what the status is! they definitely have enough resource to handle this professionally don't they?

Last edited:
OP
L

lenny7118

any updates Lenny? Man, I created mine on the 18th, had it shipped, they received it and they have no idea what the status is! they definitely have enough resource to handle this professionally don't they?

OK everyone here is my update. On 3/29/13 my replacement surface pro 128 was shipped out. Today April 1st. I received my replacement. The first thing I noticed even before opening the outter box was the small size of it and right away I knew something wasn't right. Well I opened the box to find a Brown Box with small with labels with item and serial number on it. Plus a very small box. So I opened the one Brown box and it contained a wrapped up surface and the smaller box contained a charger. OK I unwrapped the surface and it didn't have a mark on it ( good ) I did my first boot up and of course it still has the same problem as the one I sent in ( light bleed / light leak ). The surface was about dead battery wise so its charging.
I'm pissed that the surface did not come in a Retail Box as it should of I would of expected it to. The paperwork does not say anywhere if its Refurbished or New ! The other issue besides the box is that if I decide to sell it , people are of course going to be wondering why no retail box.
Anyways I looked at the serial number and I can't tell from it if it's refurbished or new, I've read that companies must tell me if it is refurbished and one way to tell would be by the paperwork or the serial number ( the serial number would contain a letter "R" at the end. So I don't know if Microsoft does not put an R on the serial number to indicate Refurbished.

If anyone has received their new "new" in a Brown Box please let me know.

Thanks Everyone

OP
L

lenny7118

Interesting. At least you have a device in your hands again which should give you more options. As far as the issue you might want to look at this thread as you will more than likely get a unit with at least some light leak and this will provide some reference: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...light-bleed-they-have-post-pics-possible.html.

I don't have options ! The device came in a Brown Box ! Most likely refurbished. I lost money on this surface now that it's probably refurbished. They sell for less. Microsoft should give me a few hundred dollars back or a New surface as I asked for.

quixoteloco

thanks for the update. I regret sending mine back to MS for replacement. If mine is a rufurbished unit, I am taking it to the MS store.

OP
L

lenny7118

thanks for the update. I regret sending mine back to MS for replacement. If mine is a rufurbished unit, I am taking it to the MS store.

If its refurbished I don't think you can. That's why I'm pissed off. A billion dollar and they screw the people that buy their products.

ThomasLee

I have read that it must be returned to the place of purchase.
I do know that Staples would exchange for a brand new one but I don't have one to send back to staples.

You can return an online purchase to your local Staples location. I've done it a few times. If you're still experiencing the light bleed issue, I'd would return it and get one locally from Best Buy. BB seems to have more inventory than Staples.

I also sent my SP back to Microsoft for a warranty repair/exchange. It was turning off when the power cable is unplugged even with full battery. Sent it out on 3/21 and received the unit back on 4/2. It seems to be the same unit as the serial number is the same under the kickstand as the one I sent. It came in a small brown box and another separate box with another charger. Not sure why they sent another charger but I'm not complaining as now I have two to use.

ThomasLee

If its refurbished I don't think you can. That's why I'm pissed off. A billion dollar and they screw the people that buy their products.

Sorry if this has been answered but I didn't read through the entire thread. I don't think Microsoft has to give you a new retail unit under warranty unless it's deemed irreparable. Even then, I wouldn't expect it to come in a new retail box. Now, if they were selling refurbished units at Staples or other retailers as new then it's a different story. Your SP is under warranty and when you send it in, they will repair it under warranty. I see no wrong doing by Microsoft.

quixoteloco

Sorry if this has been answered but I didn't read through the entire thread. I don't think Microsoft has to give you a new retail unit under warranty unless it's deemed irreparable. Even then, I wouldn't expect it to come in a new retail box. Now, if they were selling refurbished units at Staples or other retailers as new then it's a different story. Your SP is under warranty and when you send it in, they will repair it under warranty. I see no wrong doing by Microsoft.

They seem to be sending back my device (per the chat support agent today), I am assuming after repairing it instead of an exchange, which I would be fine with, except that I cannot add ESP to that device anymore! (mind you, I could add it on the website even after they had received it, but according to my conversation with their Level 3 support, it would be an exchange, so I didn't want to get a refund and re-add ESP on a replacement ) Do you know why they would do something like that unless they are treating my Surface Pro as a refurbished unit? I am baffled with this process!

quixoteloco

so, I finally received my device at the end of last week. It looks brand new.I also received an extra charger for some reason. Now, when I go into my account, my device has been replaced by the new device under my devices in the support section. It says, "Microsoft No longer services this device" under service. When I click to buy ESP, it says "not available". I have not contacted support about this since I had a very busy schedule of late. Does anyone know what this situation is?

Hmmmm

Repaired refurbishment - Copy.jpg

For those that received a replacement in a small, plain cardboard box and want to know if it is a refurbished unit, check the stickers on the box and that should answer your question. The attached photo is off one of the stickers on the box I received my refurb replacement in.