What's new

Secure Boot Option Greyed Out

ibenzawla

Hi, I just got a Surface Pro 3 and love it. Everything works well. I am trying to boot from a USB but I first need to disable secure boot. The problem is the option to do so in the UEFI/BIOS menu is greyed out and cannot be changed. Is there a way to change that? I'm sorry if this is a duplicate post. I searched but unable to get an answer.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I just got a Surface Pro 3 and love it. Everything works well. I am trying to boot from a USB but I first need to disable secure boot. The problem is the option to do so in the UEFI/BIOS menu is greyed out and cannot be changed. Is there a way to change that? I'm sorry if this is a duplicate post. I searched but unable to get an answer.
Install the Default Boot keys in the UEFI Settings -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023532/surface-how-do-i-use-the-bios-uefi

OP
I

ibenzawla

The link is not clear about installing the "Default Boot keys" plus most of the options are already to greyed out on the UEFI settings. Both the TPM and Secure Boot Control are greyed out. (See Pic)

The other thing is when booting into the UEFI setting it asks me for a password but I always hit enter and then it takes me into the settings. Wondering if this means that the bios is locked and I will need the right password in order to access all the options?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The link is not clear about installing the "Default Boot keys" plus most of the options are already to greyed out on the UEFI settings. Both the TPM and Secure Boot Control are greyed out. (See Pic)

The other thing is when booting into the UEFI setting it asks me for a password but I always hit enter and then it takes me into the settings. Wondering if this means that the bios is locked and I will need the right password in order to access all the options?
Yep - your UEFI has an administrator's lock on it...if you are not the owner/administrator they would need to enter the password. If you purchased this second hand contact the seller...