What's new

SD Card/Libraries trick not working on SP2

apoc_reg

By default windows wont let you add removable media as a library location, however a work around allowed me to do so on my SP1:
- disk management
- change drive letter
- Remove
- change drive letter
- Add
- mount in the following empty NTFS folder
- C:\SD Card

And viola, could add SD card locations to your library (would appear as part of C:\ drive).

However, on my new SP2 I did exactly the same, but when you add an C:\DS Card location you still get the old "This folder cannot be included because its on removable disk".

Anyone know what could have caused this once working work around to not!?

Thanks!

mitchellvii

You no longer need that trick.

Simply go to the folder you wish to include in a Library, right click it and choose "Include in Library" then choose the Library you want from the list and there ya go. This was fixed in 8.1.

oion

By default windows wont let you add removable media as a library location, however a work around allowed me to do so on my SP1:
- disk management
- change drive letter
- Remove
- change drive letter
- Add
- mount in the following empty NTFS folder
- C:\SD Card

And viola, could add SD card locations to your library (would appear as part of C:\ drive).

However, on my new SP2 I did exactly the same, but when you add an C:\DS Card location you still get the old "This folder cannot be included because its on removable disk".

Anyone know what could have caused this once working work around to not!?

Thanks!

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-micro-sd-libraries-and-metro-style-apps

OP
A

apoc_reg

Ah ha, in fact that trick seemingly breaks that as that option isnt there with it mounted to C:\, but putting it back to a normal SD card drive letter does indeed then give me that option.

Thanks very much mitchellvii!

mitchellvii

Ah ha, in fact that trick seemingly breaks that as that option isnt there with it mounted to C:\, but putting it back to a normal SD card drive letter does indeed then give me that option.

Thanks very much mitchellvii!

Ur welcome. If I helped you, click the "like" button. Chicks dig that and I'm trying to make up for being old and ugly :)

Graine

I am having the same problem on my warranty replacement surface pro. It worked fine on my old one. I do everything up to adding the folder to the libraries. When I right click on the folder I want to add to the library the option to add it is not available. Any suggestions?