What's new

Screen washed out until changing brightness

DeltaXray

Came across a strange bug on my i5/256 surface today.

Booted up from cold and the screen was all washed out. All the colours were just really, properly washed out, not sure how to describe it.

For the life of me couldn't figure out what was wrong. Went to change the brightness of the display (which was set to 75%) and just touching the slider (not increasing/decreasing the brightness) it just kind of all reset and the colours became more saturated at the same brightness level and is now displaying normally.

Anyone else had this? First time it's happened to me.

Demonaire

I kinda know what you are talking about. This happens to me every time I do a firmware upgrade. Because I previously installed display drivers from Intel, the firmware reinstall the old March driver. Probably due to changes I made in the display control panel, all the colours became washed out and it's like completely grey-ish. But then I updated the drivers again and it's fine... Have you installed the Intel Drivers before?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Came across a strange bug on my i5/256 surface today.

Booted up from cold and the screen was all washed out. All the colours were just really, properly washed out, not sure how to describe it.

For the life of me couldn't figure out what was wrong. Went to change the brightness of the display (which was set to 75%) and just touching the slider (not increasing/decreasing the brightness) it just kind of all reset and the colours became more saturated at the same brightness level and is now displaying normally.

Anyone else had this? First time it's happened to me.
I have seen the same thing on my Surface 2. It hasn't always done that but it's happened a few times over the last few months. screen is brighter than normal touching the brightness control returns to normal. None of mine were related to firmware updates.

Last edited:
I kinda know what you are talking about. This happens to me every time I do a firmware upgrade. Because I previously installed display drivers from Intel, the firmware reinstall the old March driver. Probably due to changes I made in the display control panel, all the colours became washed out and it's like completely grey-ish. But then I updated the drivers again and it's fine... Have you installed the Intel Drivers before?

Are you referring to turning off the power saving features in the Intel control panel? That's what the issue sounds like to me. That color shift really bothers me so I always install the Intel ones and turn it off rather than keeping the stock firmware ones.