What's new

Solved Screen Rotation switch inactive

I found initially on Windows 10, screen rotation is locked. I had to put the SP3 into Tablet Mode and then swipe from right to bring up the notification panel. Then the greyed out option was clickable again, and I tapped it to disable the lock. Now it rotates as normal.

Kind of an odd choice for MS to do by default. I do notice that in Windows 8.1 it is the same thing until you try and rotate without the keyboard, then the option is selectable again.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmnm. Didn't experience this with either of my surfaces.

For reference though, auto rotate will be disabled if you have the keyboard attached, are docked, or are running more than one monitor.

OP
Maciek

Maciek

Hmnm. Didn't experience this with either of my surfaces.

For reference though, auto rotate will be disabled if you have the keyboard attached, are docked, or are running more than one monitor.

I did this and you were right. It worked, but it was not the case in w8.1, not in my case anyway.

vap0rtranz

Ditto for my Surface Pro. Also, if you select "Don't ask me" then it should autoswitch between modes. When I plug my Touch keyboard, my Surface switches to Desktop; and unplugging the keyboard switches back to Tablet.