What's new

Screen Flicker when <20% Brightness

hey guys, my surface pro 4 arrived today, and I'm loving it. However I am having a problem with a huge amount of screen flicker. I am currently sat in bed in the dark (to not wake the wife) and naturally have brightness set low. The problem is the screen flickers randomly, and is very off putting.

I am fully updated and there are no more updates. Do I have a dodgy device or is this a known problem?

Thanks for any help offered :)

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are not the first to mention it and it may vary or not necessarily only happen with brightness below 20%. I think one of the updates tried to address flickering so maybe a future update.

You are not the first to mention it and it may vary or not necessarily only happen with brightness below 20%. I think one of the updates tried to address flickering so maybe a future update.
Thanks for your reply, I sure hope they fix it as it's going to make me have a fit, it's like having a strobe light in your face at night.

btw, it was late and I was tired, and I seemed to have posted this in the wrong forum. Is it possible to have this moved to the Surface Pro 4 Section? Cheers!

same here, suckst
typical Panos overpromising + poor QC

Sorry to hear you have the same issues as me. I'm not sure it's QC issue though, I certainly HOPE it's not hardware related. I'm willing to bet it's an intel driver issue. Despite having auto brightness turned off, the brightness of my screen still fluctuates sometimes, even when playing games etc, and I have a feeling the problems are related. Still waiting on a solution Microsoft/Intel.

mtalinm

QC means nobody checked whether the screen flickers at <50% brightness. or they checked and noticed but said no-worries-we'll-fix-after-our-AWESOME-LAUNCH!

sure hope it is not a screen issue. hard to believe they wouldn't fix a drive problem like this already.

QC means nobody checked whether the screen flickers at <50% brightness. or they checked and noticed but said no-worries-we'll-fix-after-our-AWESOME-LAUNCH!
As fas as I thought, QC on software is pretty much long dead, hence why there are beta and even now alphas on software, and early access for games. We are the QC testers. To be honest I don't find that terrible, as there are too many variables and system configs for devs to do good QC themselves. As long as companies quickly re-act and find solutions to our problems.

I would say that if they fix it within 2 weeks of launch all is forgiven. No one can expect a flawless delivery on such modern, complicated OS's and devices, however annoying it is...and I do find it annoying... but that's life.

Here's a question, is there anyone out there who does not experience screen flicker at 0% brightness?

freetail

I have the same issue. On latest insider build and when I set the brightness low (below 25%) the flicker starts and gets worse the darker you go. Very disappointing. Need fix for this and several other issues (battery life, display driver crashes, WiFi connection issues, explorer crashes) or the damn thing is going back for a refund. SP3 was great but SP4 feels like a step backward. Shame as had expected it to be faster, cooler, quieter, longer lasting and more stable. The opposite is true. Screen size / resolution is biggest improvement but that's not enough to warrant over £1500.

As part of a wider rant, disappointing support for Windows Phone and a proper flagship and for the first time in 5 years I'm seriously thinking of switching to Apple/ Android.

Please please please MS, focus hard on fixing these issues with your flagship devices. At the prices being charged (and replacements offered only as refurbished devices) these issues are seriously undermining the trust of Windows Insider and teetering fanboys like myself, in your products and services. Do hope you take heed of these posts (and please don't ask me to reset my device!)