What's new

Screen Flex, Frame lip, and Pen tracking

Striknine

I updated to the SP3 from the SP1 and notice a few things that were not present on the SP1 and would liker to know if these are supposed to be this way.

1. When using the pen to take notes the screen seems to flex a little bit when the tip of the pen presses against the screen. On my SP1 it was very solid. Could this be related to making the device thinner? I would think that since everything is packed inside so tightly it wouldn't flex.

2. The metal frame around the perimeter of the screen sits up above the screen just enough that it creates a lip at certain areas (left and right sides). The top of the screen where the camera is located is flush.

3. When using the pen to take notes in OneNote the first stroke or letter doesn't appear to register sometimes. The SP3 is less than a week old so the pen batteries are still new. When this happens it throws me off and I usually have to erase the second stroke and start over. Also sometimes the ink will show up at a different location then where I'm writing. Again never had this problem on the SP1, only corner and edge tracking issues.

Thanks

Liam2349

Well about number 3, I've had the first stroke not work on SP2. I think it's because you need to click into the app first with your finger, then you can write. Or, click first with the pen, then write.

The rest I'm not sure on.

mirk8

1. When using the pen to take notes the screen seems to flex a little bit when the tip of the pen presses against the screen. On my SP1 it was very solid. Could this be related to making the device thinner? I would think that since everything is packed inside so tightly it wouldn't flex.
I noticed the same issue :( , in your opinion it's a defect of our devices? or is it a common issue?

razy60

I updated to the SP3 from the SP1 and notice a few things that were not present on the SP1 and would liker to know if these are supposed to be this way.

2. The metal frame around the perimeter of the screen sits up above the screen just enough that it creates a lip at certain areas (left and right sides). The top of the screen where the camera is located is flush.

3. When using the pen to take notes in OneNote the first stroke or letter doesn't appear to register sometimes. The SP3 is less than a week old so the pen batteries are still new. When this happens it throws me off and I usually have to erase the second stroke and start over. Also sometimes the ink will show up at a different location then where I'm writing. Again never had this problem on the SP1, only corner and edge tracking issues.

Thanks
Your not referring to the area about 1cm down from the top in landscape mode, its about 3cm or long, if so that's a speaker opening .

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. I've seen other people post about that here. The screen and glass are thinner than prior versions plus with being larger a little flex is probably unavoidable.

2. A edge view of mine looks even and flat all the way around, looking with a magnifying glass (old eyes) the glass is ever so slightly above the metal.

3. Didn't notice missing first stroke but id probably already touched the screen out of habit.

RémiM

1. From a material point of view, it's absolutely normal. You apply a stress and you get a strain. Don't worry, the yield strength of tempered glass is very high. You won't brake it (unless you drop something on it, or drop the SP3). Moreover, the hardness of the glass is superior to the hardness of the tip of your pen, which is in polymer. So the stress you apply on the screen is mainly taken back by the pen.

You've noticed this elastic deformation because your eyes are just above the concerned area. But trust me, the weight of your hand, when you rest your palm on the screen, creates a much bigger deformation that you never see. And as you move your palm, stop writing, write again, it's definitely a fatigue stress.

And here comes my question: these cyclic stresses are necessarily transfered to the glue/foam tape/whatever of the screen. Could this, associated with the heat of the system, be able to weaken the glue/foam tape/whatever in the long term ? It obviously creates shearing stresses. Shearing stress + fatigue + heat = harmfull for polymers (the glue being a polymer).

My answer: I trust Microsoft enough. They must have done a lot of tests, and they have experience. I have a warranty, and although I love very much my SP3, it is still an object (an important one) that is made to be used.

Cheers !