What's new

Screen bulging/separating from frame a bit

Hi guys.
I purchased this tablet in used condition from a guy claiming nothing wrong is with it.
While I was cleaning the tablet I noticed this (pics) at the top edge of the tablet.It is barely visible,maybe crack is like 1mm wide or so, and I can see probably yellow glue stains.
Now I read about all nasty stuff about battery bulging and causing screen to separate on Surface Pro 4.
Is that even in my case?
Or someone replaced the screen,and didn't use a proper glue.
Gosh,it just made me depressed and worried even more,cuz I'm perfectionist (OCD).
Yeah I know this thing is 5 years old,yeah I know it has issues with battery but then again I love the design and wanted to have it.
Battery wear level is 13 %,I mean that is not that bad.
I know to keep my things in good shape,my tablets last me even 8 years.
So I suppose I need to take some precautions about this battery just to try to slow thig "bulging" down.
Can send battery report file,if someone wants to check up on battery.

Attachments

• 20220331_145042.jpg
    20220331_145042.jpg
    752 KB · Views: 316
  • 20220331_145147.jpg
    20220331_145147.jpg
    705.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 20220331_145353.jpg
    20220331_145353.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 223

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
you might ask the seller IF the device had been opened or screen replaced.

From the pic I'd guess it was opened and it's just the fit of the work done ... unfortunately there's no way to tell what the future holds. If it stays the same, no harm but if it's growing wider then it's the battery swelling. You'd have to consider your options, to keep or return (if possible).

OP
P

pcpartpicker

I might ask him but ofc he will lie.
Why would he admit,he just wanted to sell it.
Is there a way to check OEM screen info so I could know if the screen is OEM or replaced?
I'm sending below battery status report,I mean it ain't that bad.
Last pic as I see he kept laptop on a charger for 11h and 19 h which is not good at all.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 03-31-22 at 05.49 PM 001.JPG
    Screen Shot 03-31-22 at 05.49 PM 001.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 03-31-22 at 05.49 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 03-31-22 at 05.49 PM.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 03-31-22 at 05.48 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 03-31-22 at 05.48 PM.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Screen Shot 03-31-22 at 05.47 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 03-31-22 at 05.47 PM.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Screen Shot 03-31-22 at 06.24 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 03-31-22 at 06.24 PM.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
OP
P

pcpartpicker

you might ask the seller IF the device had been opened or screen replaced.

From the pic I'd guess it was opened and it's just the fit of the work done ... unfortunately there's no way to tell what the future holds. If it stays the same, no harm but if it's growing wider then it's the battery swelling. You'd have to consider your options, to keep or return (if possible).
Ok so I asked a selller he told me he did not noticed this.
Tablet was used by his wife,but rarely used in last period of time.
He just told me:"dude you see just 117 charge cycles,how can a battery be bad?"
I did researcha lot and not mentioning Core m3 issues with screen bulge.
Could this be just design flaw?
Even if it is battery dying on me how can I extend the life of it?
Suggestions,tips?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
battery swelling is a phenomenon of the material it's made from ... there's no set pattern that says the battery will fail after X, Y, or Z cycles ... it just happens. Normal battery care is the best you can do, don't let it discharge completely, and don't press on it.

I'm guessing it has not been opened then ...

If the battery is swelling and the edge is pulling up I would think the center should be bulging out even more. If you look horizontally across the screen does the screen look like it's bulging? Or lay it on its face, is it lying flat or rock at the edges?

AFAIK once it is swelling you can not stop it. It's like a waterfall made of molasses, it's going to progress slowly.

OP
P

pcpartpicker

battery swelling is a phenomenon of the material it's made from ... there's no set pattern that says the battery will fail after X, Y, or Z cycles ... it just happens. Normal battery care is the best you can do, don't let it discharge completely, and don't press on it.

I'm guessing it has not been opened then ...

If the battery is swelling and the edge is pulling up I would think the center should be bulging out even more. If you look horizontally across the screen does the screen look like it's bulging? Or lay it on its face, is it lying flat or rock at the edges?

AFAIK once it is swelling you can not stop it. It's like a waterfall made of molasses, it's going to progress slowly.
I am afraid yes...it is bulging horizontal for like 2 inches in length..it is small gap but noticeable (look at the pics) (2mm at most).
Gosh I was such a fool,but ordered not even seeing it.
So not using it or rarely using it won't make the Surface I mean battery last longer?
Would rarely using it,I mean like charging it once per week,reduce total disfunction of the device?

Attachments

• 20220402_184440.jpg
    20220402_184440.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 20220402_184444.jpg
    20220402_184444.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 166
  • 20220402_184459.jpg
    20220402_184459.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • 20220402_184509.jpg
    20220402_184509.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rock - You - Hardplace

I guess I'd just use it until it seems unsafe, I've seen pictures of units much much worse. continue to look for a replacement battery or some service center that can replace it.
batteries have been successfully replaced but not 100% of the time. Sometimes the screen or other parts/cables get broken in the process, they too can be replaced it just adds to the cost. Then you have to weigh whether it's worth it.

I don't know what else to tell you, not everything can be fixed with a software update.

OP
P

pcpartpicker

Rock - You - Hardplace

I guess I'd just use it until it seems unsafe, I've seen pictures of units much much worse. continue to look for a replacement battery or some service center that can replace it.
batteries have been successfully replaced but not 100% of the time. Sometimes the screen or other parts/cables get broken in the process, they too can be replaced it just adds to the cost. Then you have to weigh whether it's worth it.

I don't know what else to tell you, not everything can be fixed with a software update.
Did some research even replacement battery is around 70 euros and then pay for replacement job totally not worth it.
So using or not using it,damage will progress?

OP
P

pcpartpicker

Isn't it logic to buldge on the bottom edge of Surface, where connector for keyboard is, since on that part battery is placed (look at the video)?
My bottom edge is perfectly flat as on the sides.
My model is 1796.
Simple google gave me deformity at sides of Surface which I don't have.
I think you are right.
Someone probably didn't glue screen properly after work (top edge of Surface).
There is no logic for top part of Surface to buldge if the battery is the cause in my case.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220404-211241_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220404-211241_Chrome.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
when I looked at the pictures before, because I found the pictures disorienting, I only focused on the crack, not the location.
the top edge has a plastic piece covering the antenna bay. it may not be a problem at all if it's just a lousy glue job.
To improve the appearance you might try to scrape/clean out the crack with a guitar pick or some similar small tool being very careful of course.

MS aside - A man was flying a plane in fog when his instruments went out. he flew lower circling a building he saw someone and shouted where the hell am I. The person responded you're in an airplane. He instantly knew he was over a Microsoft building because of the completely correct but totally useless answer.