What's new

Samsung Galaxy TabPro S - Windows 10 2-in-1

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Wow! Here's an awesome new Windows 10 tab from Samsung. It's called the Galaxy TabPro S and it's basically a 2-in-1 similar to the Surface. Do you guys think this could be the beginning of the big manufacturers designing Windows tabs to compete with the Surface?

Share your perspective on this intriguing new device.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almost there... almost there... Aaaaaahhhhhhh

53e28a4508f8b7cd258b9ba8

Wait, what ;)

nah, that keyboard stand wont cut it.

Looks like an iPad Pro competitor. Surface (for me) goes into i5 and i7 as it can be a real computer. I would love to play with one to see how well office 2016 with One Note works.

TPadden

Looks like an iPad Pro competitor. Surface (for me) goes into i5 and i7 as it can be a real computer. I would love to play with one to see how well office 2016 with One Note works.

Got the 8GB/256GB version for $799; so far absolutely love it. It's as fast (even seems quicker but no benchmarking) as my 4GB/128 i5 for practical work, screen is beautiful, and charges through USB C port fast with several of the high amp USB chargers and external batteries I already have. I use it mostly on the go as a tablet but the keyboard works fine for me.

TPadden

Almost there... almost there... Aaaaaahhhhhhh
Wait, what ;)
nah, that keyboard stand wont cut it.
I check here daily and am amazed no one else has tried this Windows Tab. I read about all the problems with the SurfaceP 4 and note I haven't experienced one with my Samsung, I really think the 8GB/256GB for $799 was an amazing buy (Best Buy). It's fast, smooth, battery lasts forever, and not a hiccup. It's really there as is and the keyboard is usable and free. Anyone else got one?

Tom

jrioux

I check here daily and am amazed no one else has tried this Windows Tab. I read about all the problems with the SurfaceP 4 and note I haven't experienced one with my Samsung, I really think the 8GB/256GB for $799 was an amazing buy (Best Buy). It's fast, smooth, battery lasts forever, and not a hiccup. It's really there as is and the keyboard is usable and free. Anyone else got one?

Tom
Sorry, Tom. I'm still very happy with my Surface Pro 3. I'm also very happy with my Samsung Tab E (9.6). No need for a new machine, but I'd definitely consider a Samsung Windows tablet if I was.

awwshoot

Walked into my local Sam's Club last week and noticed one of these on display. Of course someone damaged it so it wouldn't turn on. Salesman walks up and we talk a little bit about it. Turned out they had one last one in stock and after speaking with a manager...... asked how I felt about $349?

Needless to say I grabbed it!

Has been an excellent Windows 10 tablet. Mine is the Windows 10 home with 128GB SSD. Only 2 issues so far are the missing IRIS camera for facial recognition and no light up keyboard since I'm spoiled by my SP4 in the dark with it's lightup keyboard. Besides those 2 issues, My SP4 sits on the counter at home and I use the TabPro S the most. 10+ hours run time is pretty nice since most my home usage is surfing!

SP4 is still faster due to the i5 but for the most part I do not even notice the m3 being slower. has done everything I have asked so far. Next will be picking up the Stylus and Multi-port adapter so I can plug in additional items and a 2nd display.

So far slick Windows 10 tablet that has been hiccup free now for a couple weeks. Oh did have to get used to holding the power button for 2 seconds to power it on vs just a quick press on the SP4. Even like they keyboard case setup for extended lap time since the SP4 starts digging in after a short while!

Preacher

Looks interesting. The only thing different that really appeals to me is better battery life. Right now I'm very happy with my Surface Pro 3 with i7 processor. This thing is fast (just too short a battery life).

awwshoot

Looks interesting. The only thing different that really appeals to me is better battery life. Right now I'm very happy with my Surface Pro 3 with i7 processor. This thing is fast (just too short a battery life).

My SP4 is owned by my main job so I needed a separate tablet for side jobs which is where the TabPro S fits in. The run time is pretty amazing after getting used to 6.5 hours or less with the SP4 Used the TabPro 4 unplugged for almost a week straight on and off between charge. Probably helps that I'm also usually using it at night while watching TV with my wife. I like how the screen auto dims when we turn off the other lights in the room! Missed auto brightness from the XT2 (the only think I miss).

Speaking of the screen, it does also dim on and off in regular lighting which I read was done to preserver the Super AMOLED screen since OLED pixels fade over time. My Note 3's Super AMOLED screen still seems as bright today as it did in the beginning and I use it a lot so wondering how much use before you would notice it dim?

awwshoot

Have to say, I have been really impressed with this tablet!

Currently have it set up on a desk with the Multi port adapter, then HDMI to DVI Adapter running a second screen. Have really enjoyed forgetting it at times in the front room only to wake it up and work on it again for another week before charging. LOL

My current issues list are:
  • Screen dims too much at times, (There is a setting to delay this but have left it along for a longer lasting screen)
  • Keyboard sometimes misses key presses
  • Pen does not compare to the accuracy and work ability of the SP4's pen. it is not bad if you never used a high quality tablet pen with a skinny tip before.
    • Also no button erase in One Note 2010 which was the version I had available and installed on the Samsung. (Damn you Microsoft! It is a bug with One Note 2010 that Microsoft never corrected.)
    • I do not like the thick pen tip but again that is due to already using and being spoiled by the SP4's pen.
  • Without the Keyboard attached, it can be a slippery bugger and almost slipped out of my hand once.
  • Camera is not an IRIS camera for facial recognition
  • Keyboard doesn't light up.

What I like:
  • Extended run time
  • Silent
  • Keyboard setup while using it on my lap vs the SP4's stand that feels like a blade digging into my leg/knees.
Again I paid $350 for mine BNIB from SAM's. If I was looking at $800, I would have a hard time deciding between the TabPro S and the SP4. Due to the Pen, face login, and light up keyboard.

Last edited: