What's new

Solved RunOnce and other fun after windows update

cemian

Just installed the latest windows cumulative and security update, 11/18 and now pc doesnt want to restart or shutdown without a hard reset...get stuck at the power down screen...when i hard reset it and look in task manager i see a runonce.exe just stuck there and I cannot kill the process...any idea how to get rid of this thing?

nipponham

I finished the latest updates and I have to say that was huge at 720MB! It even made the fan kick in. The pc rebooted without any problems.

Are you saying you cannot stop the runonce task? Check your start up programs and see if it's listed there. If so, disable it then reboot your machine.

silkrooster

In your apps list select the run app found to the far right hand side under the windows apps, when it opens - type msconfig.exe
This app will tell you what programs are in the startup and allows you to temporarily disable each program.
You can also type msinfo32.exe - this app will give you a lot of information about your computer, including what it in the startup.

Use msconfig to diagnosing and msinfo32 for information gathering.

OP
C

cemian

That's the thing there is nothing listed in the startup list...I even tried to uninstall the latest update and it just hangs at the end and never finishes.... :(

I actually had to do a system restore and encountered the infamous temperature screen in the process but eventually found a restore point that worked...I think we are good now....whew!

Last edited:

Tsurugaya

Here is one I wonder about. There is a tile for installing Office and once installed the tile disappears. I had to do a factory reset thus losing all installed programs, but alas the Office install your was there, so it wasn't a problem. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of installing the wrong version off Office so I had to delete it, but off course now the installation tile was no longer available. I figured out how to do it anyway, but it made me think that the underlying installation routine that the tile calls is probably still on the hard drive, is there a command you can type into Run to get the installation routine?

BillsCarnage

I've had this happen several times too. It appears to freeze at the "Restarting" screen. I used to do a hard reset and then decided to leave it once. Took about 15-20min before actually restarting.

silkrooster

Some programs require a reboot and usually can do it themselves, when the computer is left alone for a long time.
That said, my experience with rebootable apps is more with the desktop version of windows 7. I am still getting use to the new way of updating the system on the surface.