What's new

Rotation works fine when SF is standing but rotates back when lying

sfwul

Trying to read a newspaper. When the Surface Pro (7-plus) is more or less in a vertical (on it side) the rotation is fine and I can read the newspaper (1 page at the time) perfectly.
However, keeping it that way, with keyboard attached isn't really comfortable. So I am then lying the SF on it's back, still sideways.
Regretfully it rotates back then.

Is there a way to avoid that?
Is there keyboard function to force it to portrait position?

Thanks.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried Search, Orientation ?

Screenshot 2022-01-08 072839.png

OP
S

sfwul

I believe it is the type cover: when attached, the portrait view rotates back to landscape view when the SF is lying on the table. Meaning one would need to keep the device handheld all the time, a bit upright, so as to keep the portrait view, which gets a bit uncomfortable after a while.

However, this is not the case when it is detached. Once detached I can put the SF on the table without rotating (i.e. the portrait view is locked then). At least that is my experience just now, after some testing.

Vainly been searching for a taskbar-button that would 'force' to portrait view in such a scenario, i.e. when lying on the table.

OP
S

sfwul

Folding back the Type Cover behind the screen solves this issue. It is then used as a tablet.
Key presses are disabled in that position. "Portrait view' is locked then.