What's new

Resume from Sleep Issue since day 1

jomon

I got my surface pro this past Sunday and right off the bat, I am having issues with it trying to resume from sleep. It is actually pretty embarrassing meeting with clients and trying to get it to wake up!! Sometime when I press the power button, nothing happens. I would click it a dozen times and It just refuses to wake up then I have to resort to a long press of the power button. Other times, I press the power button and it would get stuck at the splash screen showing the surface logo and it would just sit there until I do a long press of the power button. I also noticed that when this happens, the surface logo/splash screen does not display properly, the logo flickers and parts of it does not display and I see random white lines and dots on the screen. Anybody else here having the same issue? Other times, when I try to get it to wake up I get what looks like a BIOS setup screen. It does not happen all the time but happens just often enough to get really annoying. Never had this issue with the RT. I have a local MS store and I am considering exchanging this for another one. Maybe I got a lemon?

dlacaba

It's possible it may be a software issue. Mine occasionally has issues waking up and I've noticed it's because of applications are crashing on startup. Check the event viewer at the time the issue occured to see if there's any issues with applications crashing.

I've had issues with the bonjour service (apple's photostream application) and with the news bento app crashing.

souldier

That's quite strange. You may have gotten a lemon. I have not had a single issue since Monday in regards to waking up from sleep. All I do is do a quick press of the power button and it awakens literally within a second. I'm surprised how fast it wakes up, but I noticed that a fair amount of battery is consumed while it is asleep.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with support and I'd just get it exchanged since it hasn't been 14 days yet!

*One quick question: Did you do a full windows update? I updated my pro right away.

OP
J

jomon

Hi Souldier,

I have my surface pro fully updated. MS has nothing to say about my issues so far so I get a feeling I may have a lemon. You mentioned that your surface wakes up instantly when you press the power button? Well mine takes its sweet time, I would say on average about 3 to 4 seconds and sometimes it does not wake up on first try. Sometimes I end up pressing the power button several times. Strange though that I had no issues today! I have until Sunday to exchange it and our MS store is just a couple miles away. If it continues to be problematic, I will call it a lemon and exchange it. I love it though. Got to do some painting while taking a lunch break and I must say, the digitizer is a dream!

That's quite strange. You may have gotten a lemon. I have not had a single issue since Monday in regards to waking up from sleep. All I do is do a quick press of the power button and it awakens literally within a second. I'm surprised how fast it wakes up, but I noticed that a fair amount of battery is consumed while it is asleep.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with support and I'd just get it exchanged since it hasn't been 14 days yet!

*One quick question: Did you do a full windows update? I updated my pro right away.

bosamar

There's help at the top of the page for resume - lol :LOL:

Screenshot (22).png

Linwood

I have a similar problem, it is very consistent. Could someone try this who has the touch keypad:

- Set your pro with a password to log in (local password is what I use, not sure if this fails with online)
- Have it set so screen locks and requires password on resume from sleep
- With keypad attached and Surface running, press power button briefly to put it to sleep

NORMAL behavior:

- With keyboard still attached, press power to resume.
- A gesture removes the picture, exposes the login box
- If you touch the login box the on-screen keyboard appears.

HOWEVER buggy behavior

- Before resuming, remove the keyboard that was there when it went to sleep.
- Resume by touching the power button
- Screen appears. One of two things happen:

1) The image chosen is on the screen, and you cannot make it go away (swipe, gesture, nothing)
- or -
2) Login prompt appears, you touch it, but no keyboard will pop up

I can 100% of the time reproduce this -- just remove the keyboard while sleeping, and there is no way to key in a local password. At least I've found no way around the problem while resumed (a hard reboot will of course fix it).

I think the system is confused by waking up without a keyboard it had when it went to sleep, and not handling it correctly.

Going to sleep without the keyboard and it resumes fine without it.

I can't imagine this is hardware on mine alone -- can someone confirm that's the behavior?

graye

I have a similar problem, it is very consistent. Could someone try this who has the touch keypad:

- Set your pro with a password to log in (local password is what I use, not sure if this fails with online)
- Have it set so screen locks and requires password on resume from sleep
- With keypad attached and Surface running, press power button briefly to put it to sleep

NORMAL behavior:

- With keyboard still attached, press power to resume.
- A gesture removes the picture, exposes the login box
- If you touch the login box the on-screen keyboard appears.

HOWEVER buggy behavior

- Before resuming, remove the keyboard that was there when it went to sleep.
- Resume by touching the power button
- Screen appears. One of two things happen:

1) The image chosen is on the screen, and you cannot make it go away (swipe, gesture, nothing)
- or -
2) Login prompt appears, you touch it, but no keyboard will pop up

I can 100% of the time reproduce this -- just remove the keyboard while sleeping, and there is no way to key in a local password. At least I've found no way around the problem while resumed (a hard reboot will of course fix it).

I think the system is confused by waking up without a keyboard it had when it went to sleep, and not handling it correctly.

Going to sleep without the keyboard and it resumes fine without it.

I can't imagine this is hardware on mine alone -- can someone confirm that's the behavior?

I can confirm this issue with my unit as well...

Klownicle

I can confirm this issue with my unit as well...

Try pressing the windows key on the tablets face when on the logon screen, also make sure its CLEAN. I had the exact problem mentioned above, no issues since being sure that button is clean. I can login and type with the touchscreen from sleep with or without the keyboard being attached since doing this.

Every time I would try and type the keyboard would come up and then disapear instantly. The keyboard would also type only some charecters and menus would start to open up. Its becuase the "windows key" was being pressed. This causes the logon screen to be promoted to active and other "windows key + button" actions. After figuring out the above, I haven't had the issue since.

Linwood

Try pressing the windows key on the tablets face when on the logon screen, also make sure its CLEAN. I had the exact problem mentioned above, no issues since being sure that button is clean. I can login and type with the touchscreen from sleep with or without the keyboard being attached since doing this.

Every time I would try and type the keyboard would come up and then disapear instantly. The keyboard would also type only some charecters and menus would start to open up. Its becuase the "windows key" was being pressed. This causes the logon screen to be promoted to active and other "windows key + button" actions. After figuring out the above, I haven't had the issue since.

I had read your posting but that is not this problem. There's no reaction to touching the text box at all, not a up/back, the keypad just never comes up. But I also did clean it and no change (because even if it seemed different it's worth a try).

I just think this is a bug. If you don't use locked screens and passwords you won't see it. It's a problem with the password entry screen only as best I can tell.