What's new

Resolution and text/window etc sizing when using surface display AND a monitor

sdgmcdon

I have a surface pro 3 and I'm using it connected to an external display using BOTH displays. The external display is a 21:9 aspect ratio display, using as main display, then using the surface screen for messaging/phone and pandora, other misc smaller window items.

I cannot for the life of me get the size of the screens right.

If i get everything looking right (resolution, text size etc) on the external display then everything is TINY and barely able to read things on the surface screen. If I get everything right on the surface screen then everything on the main screen is HUGE and it completely eats up my screen space.

Tried MS support, they were useless, thought I'd see if anyone here has figured this out?

Thanks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using XP Scaling (i.e. Use one setting for all monitors) or the default slider setting for 8.1? Your external monitor is what resolution?

OP
S

sdgmcdon

Are you using XP Scaling (i.e. Use one setting for all monitors) or the default slider setting for 8.1? Your external monitor is what resolution?

Tried the default slider and one settings for all, didn't seem to make a difference.

21:9 is an AOC 29" at 2560x1080 resolution (native/recommended for the screen), surface pro 3 screen is running it's native 2160x1440.

Currently I'm using the "slider" one notch away from largest setting. Surface screen is about perfect, but on the AOC screen everything is MASSIVE.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Flip the default monitor and then set the slider at the same spot and see if it works better...

OP
S

sdgmcdon

Interesting...worked... and I was able to flip it back and seems to be ok...hopefully it will "stick" like this as I bought a surface for a reason; highly mobile!

Thanks!