What's new

Report: Majority of Windows 8 Users Ignore Metro / Modern UI Applications

Wayne Orwig

I have to believe that is misleading.
If I launch the MUI version of IE, that would be counted as only one MUI launch, even though I used it for 5 hours.

Irrelevant to me any way. I wanted both world, and with my Surface Pro, I have that. That is key, we can take time to transition to MUI apps.

I know I launch more that three MUI apps a day.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Perfect example. I visited my dermatologist and she was using a Surface Pro to take notes. I noticed that she was holding it like a laptop on her arm and trying to write in the screen. I showed her that she could just fold the keyboard back and use it like a tablet. She was shocked and thought that was so cool!

THAT is the kind of thing MS should be showing in their commercials instead of breakdancing hipsters playing with the kickstand.

Should MS also be showing people how to brush their teeth and tie their shoes? ;) Come on that has nothing to do with Windows 8, the Surface Pro or anything remotely MS's responsibility. This is 100% user error (or another stronger word). Why did they even get a Surface Pro tablet if they were trying to use it exactly like a laptop?

For the record MS commercials do show people folding the keyboard back, even the dancing ones :)

thumb_COLOURBOX4505847.jpg vs. use-pen-intuos-gd-tablets-800x800.jpg

Last edited:

pallentx

Should MS also be showing people how to brush their teeth and tie their shoes? ;) Come on that has nothing to do with Windows 8, the Surface Pro or anything remotely MS's responsibility. This is 100% user error (or another stronger word). Why did they even get a Surface Pro tablet if they were trying to use it exactly like a laptop?

For the record MS commercials do show people folding the keyboard back, even the dancing ones :)
I agree, yet I cant tell you how many reviews I read that criticized the Surface because it was "unusable unless you can set it on a table". One on the verge mocked it because it wasn't stable in his lap with the stand out on the couch. Of course, on the couch, the ideal use is slate mode - something that is impossible with a laptop.

pallentx

I still say they should be heavily advertising Family Safety. That's a huge selling point for going all-Windows with you desktops and tablets. I'm guessing it has to do with it still being "Live" branded on the website. Maybe they are waiting until its updated. They need to hurry up - its a killer feature that no one else has right now.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

If you introduce a brand new toothbrush that works completely differently than anything else they have ever used then yeah, they should.

The thing I find so amusing is that you always attribute people's difficulty with Windows 8 to user error and that somehow the users are dumb. Well yes, the users are DUMB and the users are LAZY and the users HAVE THE MONEY so you better damn well design your software to prevent user error that prevents them from giving you their money.

J5 you make the classic technologist's error. It is simple to you so you assume it should be simple to everyone. My girlfriend is a Professor of Physiology at a major University. I promise you she has a higher IQ than either of us but she doesn't get technology and has no desire to learn it. 5 minutes with Windows 8 and she threw up her hands and walked away. THAT is the customer Microsoft MUST HAVE to succeed and their current approach is complete fail at acquiring them.

Let me give another example. Let's assume you do not play the piano and I do. I sit you down for a lesson and play a complex piece of music and then say, "Ok, now you do it." You look at me like I've lost my mind. Well, it's simple to me, why can't you do it? That is exactly how most people approach technology. That's why Apple has done so well. For you and I its limitations are frustrating but the average person can pick it up with no training and within 10 minutes have it basically figured out. It is intuitive. Windows 8 is not intuitive and scares non-technologists away.

J515OP

Super Moderator
If you introduce a brand new toothbrush that works completely differently than anything else they have ever used then yeah, they should.

The thing I find so amusing is that you always attribute people's difficulty with Windows 8 to user error and that somehow the users are dumb. Well yes, the users are DUMB and the users are LAZY and the users HAVE THE MONEY so you better damn well design your software to prevent user error that prevents them from giving you their money.

J5 you make the classic technologist's error. It is simple to you so you assume it should be simple to everyone. My girlfriend is a Professor of Physiology at a major University. I promise you she has a higher IQ than either of us but she doesn't get technology and has no desire to learn it. 5 minutes with Windows 8 and she threw up her hands and walked away. THAT is the customer Microsoft MUST HAVE to succeed and their current approach is complete fail at acquiring them.

Let me give another example. Let's assume you do not play the piano and I do. I sit you down for a lesson and play a complex piece of music and then say, "Ok, now you do it." You look at me like I've lost my mind. Well, it's simple to me, why can't you do it? That is exactly how most people approach technology. That's why Apple has done so well. For you and I its limitations are frustrating but the average person can pick it up with no training and within 10 minutes have it basically figured out. It is intuitive. Windows 8 is not intuitive and scares non-technologists away.

Mitchell you have so far missed the mark here. What does technology or software or anything MS can do have any control over how somebody phsycally holds the device? In fact I don't always attribute difficulty with Windows to dumb users, see post #9.

I don't care how fancy a toothbrush's bristles are, I still have to understand I put it in my mouth and against my teeth. If I stuck it in my ear would you some how find a way to blame Reach or Colgate for their bristle design?

Maybe it isn't simple for everyone but MS has no responsibility for showing people how to hold a device. That's Apple's thing. Remember?

how_to_hold_iphone4jpg1.jpeg

As for the piano, if you sit down and play Chopin I don't need to sit down and do the same but I sure as heck should understand that if I reach out and press the keys they are going to make some sound. How would you react if you were asked after your performance, "How do you make sound come out of your fingers by wiggling them?"