What's new

Regular crashes when taxing the dGPU, any fix?

ToolCoughing

I’ve had my Surface Book i7/16/512/dgpu for a couple of weeks and have been seeing *a lot* of BSOD’s, almost always with the VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL error. This occurs most frequently when using apps that make the most use of the dgpu, especially Photoshop and Illustrator. Assuming the app even opens, I usually get less than 5 minutes of work before the crash. I initially thought I had this solved after downloading the NVIDIA Geforce drivers, but it started happening again, and even more frequently since the latest windows update.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, different drivers perhaps? Is it possible I have faulty hardware? I bought this machine specifically for using the Adobe CC apps, but it’s obviously not fulfilling that role very well.

OP
T

ToolCoughing

I just did a test where I forced Photoshop to run on the integrated graphics via the NVIDIA Control Panel. I was able to work for 15 minutes with not crashing. Obviously this is related to the dGPU, I'm just wondering if there is software fix or if I might have bad hardware, any way to find out?

Seneleron

yea, download 3dmark and run it a couple of times. If it crashes consistently it is very likely a hardware issue.

I say 3dmark over furmark because [apparently] furmark doesn't stress all areas of the card the way 3dmark does [I had a very similar issue with another machine a few years back--turned out to be a bad GPU]

OP
T

ToolCoughing

So I downloaded 3DMark and did the full array of stress tests, twice. No crashing at all. However, a few hours later, I launch Steam and as soon as I try switching to 'Big Picture' mode; crash (VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL, like always). Restart the system, launch steam again. Everything is going fine until I try to change the screen resolution of the game I'm playing; crash, same error. So it does not seem related to how stressed the dGPU is necessarily, but seems almost random anytime the dGPU is responsible for doing... anything. Time to contact Microsoft about a return/exchange?