What's new

Recovery Disk/image 8.1

mickaphely

Hello everyone, here is the problem i am having and i hope one of you is willing to help me out. My surface was giving me issues something about corrupt file system. I went ahead and did the recovery but now windows thinks i have a regular laptop with Win 8.1 rather than an actual touch screen surface.
So here are the things that stopped working after the recovery:
1. the home button
2. the volume +/- buttons
3. the power button (only works to turn on surface and not to turn off display/lock)
4. the touch screen

I have contacted MS tech support and stayed with them for at least 4 hours before all of us realized that for some reason the firmware on my device is corrupt or gone. I need to get the recovery files off of another working surface and then i can reset it.
With that said, here is my request:

Can anyone make a recovery file, zip it and upload it so that i can download it onto a USB drive and do another recovery ?

Thank you

razy60

Hello everyone, here is the problem i am having and i hope one of you is willing to help me out. My surface was giving me issues something about corrupt file system. I went ahead and did the recovery but now windows thinks i have a regular laptop with Win 8.1 rather than an actual touch screen surface.
So here are the things that stopped working after the recovery:
1. the home button
2. the volume +/- buttons
3. the power button (only works to turn on surface and not to turn off display/lock)
4. the touch screen

I have contacted MS tech support and stayed with them for at least 4 hours before all of us realized that for some reason the firmware on my device is corrupt or gone. I need to get the recovery files off of another working surface and then i can reset it.
With that said, here is my request:

Can anyone make a recovery file, zip it and upload it so that i can download it onto a USB drive and do another recovery ?

Thank you

Have you tried this link from MS.
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...ervice-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage

razy60

Yes I have and that didn't work
I know its not win 8.1 but try he win 10 tech preview it works fine and installs fine from a usb(I dual boot it on my surface). I can check to see if I have a ways or means to get a recovery file, but cant do any thing for a few days.

mickaphely

I know its not win 8.1 but try he win 10 tech preview it works fine and installs fine from a usb(I dual boot it on my surface). I can check to see if I have a ways or means to get a recovery file, but cant do any thing for a few days.

I did and had the same issues, it was a pain to get that technical preview off and go back to windows 8.1.

Tobias Hjorth

Used this to download the recovery for my old SP1 as I lost the USB on which I transfered the original recovery.
Work like a charm and it's super simple. The recovery can recover everything including the standard partioning

mickaphely

Used this to download the recovery for my old SP1 as I lost the USB on which I transfered the original recovery.
Work like a charm and it's super simple. The recovery can recover everything including the standard partioning
I am not sure if this would work on the surface pro 3 or not but i have already given up on fixing it myself and i'll be without a surface over the holidays since i sent mine in for service.

vsherry

I just used a USB drive to create a recovery drive. My 128GB drive now shows up as a 32GB drive named "RECOVERY." I wonder if I'll have to move the files off the USB to an external hard drive and reformat the USB drive to get the full capacity back.

vsherry

OK, I found a tutorial that gave me my space back.

But I now have a question. Do the recovery files have to be on their own partition to be usable?

bender

Is it possible to create my own recovery disk? And how I am able to restore my Windows from that disk?

Tried it with Acronis TI, but there are issues with the UEFI/BitLocker!

VirtMcPolygon

I used the USB boot to diskpart wipe my Surface Pro 3 and install the new Windows 10 Technical Preview without any issues. When I went back and used the recovery download MS provides I noticed it now installed Windows 8.1 by default and updated the recovery partition with 8.1 now as well. Previously it was Windows 8 and I had to do an update to get Windows 8.1.