What's new

Solved Recovery Boot Loop

Empyre

Well it took all of 1 hour for my microsoft surface to be stuck in a boot loop. I messed up some of my setup so I decided to just wipe the device and start over. The device got stuck at 10% installation of windows 10...I shut off the device because it was hanging and now of course since the installation is incomplete when I boot up my device I get:

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation"

Upon clicking OK, the surface just goes into a boot loop with the same message over and over. So, should I spend time messing with this thing? Or just RMA the damn thing I waited a week to get in the mail? Not a great first impression back on Windows.....

lami

Your error was to stop the installation process, i don't know why but reinstalling windows 10 takes Ages (took me about 2-3 hours mostly sticking at a fixed percentage rate).
To solve the issue I would propose that If you have a second comuputer create a windows 10 bootable usb stick and use that with your surface. Also the Microsoft support guys should be able to provide you a link to an image if you call them.
They will also be able to explain how to access the bios setup and to change the boot order.

OP
E

Empyre

Your error was to stop the installation process, i don't know why but reinstalling windows 10 takes Ages (took me about 2-3 hours mostly sticking at a fixed percentage rate).
To solve the issue I would propose that If you have a second comuputer create a windows 10 bootable usb stick and use that with your surface. Also the Microsoft support guys should be able to provide you a link to an image if you call them.
They will also be able to explain how to access the bios setup and to change the boot order.
Yeah I have started downloading the recovery image already. How large of a USB stick do I need? 8 GB or do I really need the 16? Oh and really glad the download source is giving me 50 kbps -.-

Frustrated, was really excited to get my SP4

bradl79

i did the same thing, i could never get mine restored, it kept giving me a recovery error when i had tried to recover again using the USB recovery download from the ms website, so i had to take back and get a new one, what i suggest is when u r done setting up before u do anything, make a system image (search for backup and restore (Window 7)) and back it up to another drive, so if u come across the issues again, u can restore, its so much faster to do an image restore through a system image opposed from doing a reset, also don't for get to write down your bitlocker key and/or disable bitlocker before you backup

OP
E

Empyre

So I finally got it restored from a USB drive, and now I do not have any touch input at all after restore... Anyone have ideas? Keyboard and mouse is fine

OP
E

Empyre

Yes that was it, after I installed updates and firmware it was fixed. Back in business! Also got my type cover, this device is so far very slick, starting to get re-acquainted with windows. Been using a Mac since Windows Vista lol, it has been a while. Excited for a new experience!