What's new

Recommended software/actions for new SP3?

Hi! I just got my new SP3: Core i5/256GB/8GB RAM. YAY!

I'm a computer programmer/software developer so I essentially like to keep all my computers super-neat and follow a very rigorous process for maintaining what's installed and stored across the filesystem.

But this time I don't have a Windows 8 installation DVD or anything like that for me to perform a fresh-install.

I usually start from a fresh system and then incrementally install the important software that I will always need (office, development, favorite programs, etc) and then create images of my system. If I ever find my system unstable or dirty I simply re-image by computer. I keep all important user data backed up elsewhere.

My question is what recommendations do you have to achieve this goal with a brand new Surface? This is the first time I'll work with Windows 8.1 and their cloud based model.

All your advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

ptrkhh

Windows 8.1 installation works in a very similar way to Windows Vista and 7 (don't know about XP, I was too young back then), so you can still image and apply images like how you used to do.
To obtain a Windows 8.1 fresh install ISO, you need to get an official program called Recovery Media Creator if I remember correctly. As far as I know, there is no other (legal) way to do that, there is no digitalriver ISO downloads anymore. However, I would hardly recommend a fresh install on the SP3, since not only Surfaces ships with a minimum amount of bloatware, but there are also plenty of Windows Update packages that have to be installed for the SP3 to work properly such as the OneNote pen button and 4-hour-only Connected Standby functionality. The trouble is not worth the effort IMO.
You can also consider using install.wim from WIMBoot image that Ive been testing for the starting point (its in my signature below). Its based on the stock official Surface Pro 3 image, except that Ive removed most unnecessary bloats, essentially reducing the install.wim size to almost half of its original size.

Last edited by a moderator:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Enough!!!! Thread has been cleaned up, tone down the rhetoric, this is a forum where people are allowed to ask questions on the usage of the Surface Line, it is not a place to attack when they ask the question. Let's assume the best of people first....

Frank Jackson

Enough!!!! Thread has been cleaned up, tone down the rhetoric, this is a forum where people are allowed to ask questions on the usage of the Surface Line, it is not a place to attack when they ask the question. Let's assume the best of people first....

Thank you.