What's new

reading books via kindle app on surface 3

has anyone tried out reading books on the surface 3? Im considering getting rid of my air 2 , I have the sp3 but it's 800 miles away at the moment and I have not tried reading books on it. With the new aspect ratio I assume it feels more like an actual book

CDG

I read books with the Kindle app on my Surface 3 all the time. In fact that was one of my reasons for getting it. I also have an Air 2 and reading on Surface 3 feels more natural to me.

DLCPhoto

I also enjoy reading Kindle books on my S3. One warning: I like to use the Pen to highlight the text as I read; the 'Modern' Kindle app doesn't work well with this - you highlight, and it skips to the next or previous page. The solution is to download and use the regular kindle desktop application, which works fine with the Pen.

I've found almost all of the 'Modern' Windows Apps to be buggy, crash frequently, and are just a pain to use. The conventional Desktop applications consistently work much better.

mfgillia

I actually have installed Bluestacks and prefer using the Android Kindle app on my Surface to the Windows version.

I've also found running Android on a surface 3 works pretty well. I read a lot of Chinese readers brought on Amazon and use amiduos to run android to access the better Chinese language apps to look up words and add them to flashcards.

For windows apps though, I actually prefer the Nook reader app to Kindle - its smoother and less buggy. However, that does require converting the books first to epub or some other format.

MKWM

Been reading quite a lot on my S3 since my SHIELD tablet has been put away while I wait for a replacement. The aspect ratio of the S3 is great for reading in portrait mode! The Kindle App also has a full screen mode which you may prefer (last icon on the ribbon) although everytime you turn a page you get a small tools popup at the bottom

ynohtna

One warning: I like to use the Pen to highlight the text as I read; the 'Modern' Kindle app doesn't work well with this - you highlight, and it skips to the next or previous page. The solution is to download and use the regular kindle desktop application, which works fine with the Pen.

Oh man I didn't even think to look for a desktop app. I've been using the kindle reader store app on my windows phone and surface RT forever, just continued the same method on my SP3 and S3. Really wish Amazon would give it some updates!

kristalsoldier

I use my S3 only for reading. The vast majority of my books are in ePub and PDF form. I use Book Viser (paid version) and Book Bazaar (free version and considering the paid version) to read ePub documents and Drawboard PDF (paid version) to read PDF documents. I don't use the Kindle App. The S3 works brilliantly and has totally replaced my iPad Air. The aspect ratio of the S3 is ideal for reading IMO.

scwillson

I also enjoy reading Kindle books on my S3. One warning: I like to use the Pen to highlight the text as I read; the 'Modern' Kindle app doesn't work well with this - you highlight, and it skips to the next or previous page. The solution is to download and use the regular kindle desktop application, which works fine with the Pen.

I've found almost all of the 'Modern' Windows Apps to be buggy, crash frequently, and are just a pain to use. The conventional Desktop applications consistently work much better.

I have always found the PC version of Kindle clunkier than the Android or Kindle Fire versions, so I think I'm going to try the BlueStacks method mentioned above.

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

DLCPhoto

I have always found the PC version of Kindle clunkier than the Android or Kindle Fire versions, so I think I'm going to try the BlueStacks method mentioned above.

Thanks for the tip!

I installed AMIDuOS a week or two ago, so will have to try out the Android Kindle App on the S3 and see if it looks/works any better than the PC Desktop one.

Let us know how it works with BlueStacks.

scwillson

Well, the Android version on my S3 is much friendlier than the PC version. I'll give it a longer test run before I make my decision, but as of right now it looks like I'll be removing the PC app.

I have the same problem...although I do not intend to go away from this unit, the kindle app on Windows is pretty bad and quite far behind all ofther versions...that being said, I returned the SP3 for this S3 just for the size to read my textbooks better