What's new

Quick Surface Power Cover Review

OP
H

hh83917

Thanks for checking. I am still trying to find what triggers it. It's only in desktop mode and I may have to press the mouse pad button before I can trigger it, it seems. But definitely there. I contacted MS in the forum. Somebody is trying to help finding the issue. Maybe mine is simply faulty....

Ok, I have to press keys some keys to trigger it. Doesn't seem to have to be a specific key, anything close to the spacebar I think.

I tried pressing any key deliberately when my powercover is flipped to the back, but it still does not activate the trackpad on my SP2.

OP
H

hh83917

Upload a screen shot of the more detailed battery info for those that are interested.

The Left is Surface Pro 2's battery, Right is the Power Cover attached.
Screenshot (1).png

johncrosby

Today, I watched a couple of movies via iTunes on my Surface Pro 2 out on the deck, using with the Power Cover. Sent sound to a Bluetooth Jambox. Brilliant.
Near the end of the second movie, I walked indoors and had the SP2 stream to an Apple TV. Wonderful.

Okay, so before I had the Power Cover I also did this for ONE movie. But it kinda ruins the enjoyment when I'm worried about battery power or portability, and keep checking the battery life.

My value for the SP2 has gone up greatly in just two days. ;)

Great review. Power cover is going to be a big hit for MS. Quick question and apologies if this is obvious for everyone, but how do you stream your SP2 to your Apple TV? Thanks in advance.

OP
H

hh83917

Great review. Power cover is going to be a big hit for MS. Quick question and apologies if this is obvious for everyone, but how do you stream your SP2 to your Apple TV? Thanks in advance.

I use AirParrot for streaming with my ATV2 and it works pretty good and stable. Just remember to go to "Control Panel > Display > Change size of all items" and adjust everything to 100% instead of the default 150% on the Surface so it doesn't appear cropped.

OP
H

hh83917

I have a question for those with the PowerCover, does your powercover battery drain pretty quick even when the Surface pro or pro 2 is suspended?
I left my disconnected and fully charged SP2 with the powercover attached on my desk last night and haven't touched it since this afternoon.
When I logged in, the powercover battery is at 0% and SP2 is still 90%+.
Just figuring out if the SP2 or powercover drains battery even when not in use.

be77solo

For anyone curious, I can confirm the Wireless Keyboard Adapter works just fine with the Power Cover. Honestly, the Wireless Adapter actually is better with the Power Coverr in my opinion because it is rock solid compared to the normal flew with the Type 2.

mtalinm

Whoa, how do you stream to an apple TV?

Today, I watched a couple of movies via iTunes on my Surface Pro 2 out on the deck, using with the Power Cover. Sent sound to a Bluetooth Jambox. Brilliant.
Near the end of the second movie, I walked indoors and had the SP2 stream to an Apple TV. Wonderful.

Okay, so before I had the Power Cover I also did this for ONE movie. But it kinda ruins the enjoyment when I'm worried about battery power or portability, and keep checking the battery life.

My value for the SP2 has gone up greatly in just two days. ;)

View attachment 1828

cafutter

I received the power cover last week and it has reduced my Battery Anxiety Disorder (BAD). I have the Surface Pro 1 and this has been a big problem. My "BAD" is much better now and I don't have to worry about the battery running out during rounds in the ICU. I do have 1 concern about it and it has to do with the trackpad. The behavior is the same as with the original keyboard covers where the cursor would jump around because of inadvertant touches of my wrist. The software which disables the trackpad which was made available by Micorsoft doesn't work for this. I use the Arc Touch mouse (and I love it). Is anyone else running into this problem?

Last edited:

TunaSurface

Nice review. I'm really torn apart. I cannot for the life of me decide if I want the type cover
or the power cover. Is the size of the power cover a big deal? is it too heavy for tablet use,
or perhaps too thick?
These and the fact that it isn't backlit are the things holding me back from buying it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I remove the Power Cover for Tablet use, using the Power Cover really means using it as an Ultrabook.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa, how do you stream to an apple TV?

Stream to an Apple TV by installing iTunes on your Surface. Everything you need is there. When playing media, an icon at the top-right of the iTunes window has a drop-down listing all the AppleTV devices on your network.

For non-iTunes streaming to your AppleTV, use AirParrot.
[video=youtube;Vq9qrrU6iQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq9qrrU6iQE[/video]

Last edited: