What's new

Question regarding Microsoft Surface RT

x509

I want to buy a Surface RT tablet and I found a local guy who is selling a brand new tablet at really cheap price. I wanted to ask that is there a way to check if the tablet is real or fake ?
Like any configuration ? Any test or any hidden command that i can execute which can confirm its identity ?

i know every phone has an IMEI number which i can cross check from phones settings > About menu with the one which is listed on the box.
Is there anything like this for Surface which I can cross check from the box and with the device/software inside ?

Thanks,

Last edited:

vjh425

I haven't heard of any way to check whether or not the RT you're buying is real or fake unfortunately. Maybe the best thing to do would be to go check one out in store (Best Buy still carries them) so you have an idea of what a real one looks/feels/operates like.

ibenzawla

Yeah its better to be on the safer side. For me I can easily tell even by holding it. The RT has this premium feel you hardly get from fake. Also if you are able to play with it you may go to Systems and see what it has to say. Or even try downloading some apps on the app store. Chances are if its fake Microsoft wont let you install. There is the Microsoft stamp that is located underneath the stand which has a dark Windows logo as well. Also be careful about the price because you can get one for cheap these days which is great for consumers considering all the benefits this tablet has to offer. Good luck.

macmee

I want to buy a Surface RT tablet and I found a local guy who is selling a brand new tablet at really cheap price. I wanted to ask that is there a way to check if the tablet is real or fake ?
Like any configuration ? Any test or any hidden command that i can execute which can confirm its identity ?

i know every phone has an IMEI number which i can cross check from phones settings > About menu with the one which is listed on the box.
Is there anything like this for Surface which I can cross check from the box and with the device/software inside ?

Thanks,

Ask him for pictures and post them here

kundas1

First off the OP said the seller is local so I'm assuming he will look at the device BEFORE buying, secondly there is no 'knockoffs' of surface tablets out there, thirdly when you inspect the device just make sure everything works like, WiFi, volume rocker, stand, and check out how the OS is operating and it's not running sluggish... just use common sense... good luck OP...

First off the OP said the seller is local so I'm assuming he will look at the device BEFORE buying, secondly there is no 'knockoffs' of surface tablets out there, thirdly when you inspect the device just make sure everything works like, WiFi, volume rocker, stand, and check out how the OS is operating and it's not running sluggish... just use common sense... good luck OP...
Actually there ARE Surface Pro KIRFs out. I'm in the process of obtaining one for evaluation and review. And another.

Other than that, your checklist of what to inspect will help the OP.

kristalsoldier

jrioux

There are few sites that are offering factory refurbished RTs for around $200. Search ebay and google.

Update - Actually, Microsoft currently has refurbished RTs for $199 an $219, for the 32 and 64 versions, respectively.

Last edited:

kundas1

ok to me they aren't selling a Surface knockoff, they're selling a tablet with android and using the surface pictures to advertise their product of probably generic tablet! more of copyright infringement than a "knockoff" sale... also out of ALL THE WEB you guys could only find 1 thing out there that's SORT of a knockoff? me thinks the OP is pretty safe then... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Richard W.

I got my new Surface RT direct from Microsoft during the Black Friday sale for $200. At that price, I wish I'd gotten two.

I haven't heard about them discounting them so heavily since then, but maybe they will. This holiday weekend would be a good time.