What's new

Question about the screen on the SP3

Sassi

I've noticed on the SP3 the screen looks different than other touch devices I have. When the light hits it the reflection fragments and there are lots of little lines apparent under the screen surface. A lot of horizontal and vertical and a few diagonal ones in patterns.
I'm assuming this is something to do with the way the SP3 touch screen works, is it different from other touch devices or are these lines just more apparent on the SP3? It can be quite distracting when I'm using it as a tablet with overhead lighting does anyone else find this?

I'm not much of a techy so if this is a stupid question I'm sorry lol. I was just interested in why the SP3 screen seems different from my other devices and if anyone else finds the lines on the screen distracting with overhead lighting.

thelead

It is more noticeable on the SP3 than most other tablets. If you look REALLY closely on a white screen, you can even see tiny dots that look like dead pixels but they're really part of the sensors.

malberttoo

I've noticed on the SP3 the screen looks different than other touch devices I have. When the light hits it the reflection fragments and there are lots of little lines apparent under the screen surface. A lot of horizontal and vertical and a few diagonal ones in patterns.
I'm assuming this is something to do with the way the SP3 touch screen works, is it different from other touch devices or are these lines just more apparent on the SP3? It can be quite distracting when I'm using it as a tablet with overhead lighting does anyone else find this?

I'm not much of a techy so if this is a stupid question I'm sorry lol. I was just interested in why the SP3 screen seems different from my other devices and if anyone else finds the lines on the screen distracting with overhead lighting.

No doubt it is the grid or digitizer for the pen or touch.

I have never seen them, without intentionally trying to do so.

wynand32

I haven't noticed the digitizer the way I have on some other devices, so for whatever that's worth...

Shifted

Yeah, I have seen this grid on a couple of my phones. If you put it under a bright light at a slight angle (so you aren't looking at the light in the reflection) it's super easy to see.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Thanks guys. I don't really notice them on my other devices, this is the first one where it's stood out. Maybe as someone mentioned it's for the pen. Ah well if I start to notice it too much I'll just stare at the yellow band down the left side of the screen to take my mind off of it ;)

Kris

On my third SP3 and thinking of exchanging it out again for a few issues. The yellow tint is pretty bad on the right side of my screen but bearable. I am arguing with myself at the moment.... either try again or just wait for the SP4 and hope for a better product, but can I live without my Lap/Tab for that long after experiencing the wonders that it brings to the table...when working right ;-)

malberttoo

Thanks guys. I don't really notice them on my other devices, this is the first one where it's stood out. Maybe as someone mentioned it's for the pen. Ah well if I start to notice it too much I'll just stare at the yellow band down the left side of the screen to take my mind off of it ;)

I do know for sure now that the grids is for the pen. It's a layer under the glass.

katim 110

i have a question.
is this normal? on the right side above of my sp3 i see yellow light. if i press on the right side (on the black part) the yellow light disappears. you can see this clearly only if you have an black background.

Liam2349

i have a question.
is this normal? on the right side above of my sp3 i see yellow light. if i press on the right side (on the black part) the yellow light disappears. you can see this clearly only if you have an black background.

Sounds like light bleed, and it's not normal. Can you post a photo?

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't notice any grid lines on my SP3 but I notice them all the time on my Nexus 4 phone.

I have a tiny bit of light bleed on my SP3 on the top right corner but I only notice it on black screen and to be honest I would expect it to be fairly common on this sort of device, may be wrong there but I'm not going to nitpick over that as it's a tiny flaw on what for me has been a very positive experience with my i7.