What's new

Quality Concerns With Paint and Type Cover 2

euphemism

Hey all, has anyone else experienced paint coming off very easily along the edges of the device? Like, I find small chips of paint missing, but I haven't been banging the device around or anything.

Also, several times my control or alt keys seem to be stuck (not visibly) in an activated position, and require me to press then rapidly for a few seconds to "unstick" them. Twice, upon attaching the cover, my Surface Pro 2 has shut off and restarted.

Thoughts? Similar stories?

F1ADAM

Yes - one of the reasons I joined the forum was to find out whether it was just my device.

The finish has stripped away on the edges on mine too. The Bezel corner to the right of the power button and all along the top length of the back panel.

I was wondering if it is a bad batch - mine was delivered on the day of release so from a pre-order batch.

Hoping others raise the issue if they have the same problem...

bluegrass

I've never used my Ctl-Alt-Del keys on my Type2 keyboard & I cant recall that any of them individually have stuck on me.

As for scratches, mine has some scratches on the flat back part of my Surface Pro 2 but I think that was my fault. I must have slid it around on a desk when it was laying on it's back.

oion

I've never had issues with my Type/Type 2 covers, but maybe you got a defective one; a warranty exchange should be easy there. In the chipping/flaking situation, you should have better luck with a replacement if you go to an MS store; technically, it's a cosmetic issue, so trying to do a warranty exchange online or over the phone may not work.

I'm baffled why MS is still having problems with this in second gen. It's entirely possible that the early 2nd gen batches would still have potential problems, but I could be more forgiving with first gen; I'm thinking they should just get rid of the whole fingerprint coating business altogether.

Ruffles

I'm not getting the scratches around the charging port that I had on my SP1 but I do have 2 tiny white specs around the cooling vent.

olimjj

Also, several times my control or alt keys seem to be stuck (not visibly) in an activated position, and require me to press then rapidly for a few seconds to "unstick" them. Twice, upon attaching the cover, my Surface Pro 2 has shut off and restarted.

Thoughts? Similar stories?
I am assuming you have applied the latest Windows Update which includes "some keyboard fixes and improvements". Personally, whenever I have experienced a keyboard problem (on very few occasions), I simply remove and reconnect the keyboard.