What's new

Push Email not working on Surface

mlev04

I have a Surface RT, and I added my @msn.com account as the Microsoft account needed to get the mail app to work. But this account does not receive push emails; they are delivered about 20-25 minutes late. I spent a good amount of time troubleshooting this with a surface support agent, and the best solution we could come up with is to use another account, my @outlook.com as my Microsoft account and add my @msn.com as a secondary in the mail app. Problem is now I cannot send email from the @msn.com account, whenever I create a new message it defaults as coming from my @outlook.com. Is anyone else having Push email problems with their Microsoft accounts? And is there any way to send emails from a different account? Please help, this is incredibly frustrating.

TeknoBlast

Weird, I've been using my @msn.com address since the release of the Surface and on my Windows 8 desktop and havent had any issues with sending or receiving emails in a timely manner.

Have you tried changing the email settings from 15 minutes to any time mail arrives?

OP
M

mlev04

Weird, I've been using my @msn.com address since the release of the Surface and on my Windows 8 desktop and havent had any issues with sending or receiving emails in a timely manner.

Have you tried changing the email settings from 15 minutes to any time mail arrives?

I did. @msn.com account is set to recieve mail as it arrives. Its also weird that when I set the @msn.com as my Microsoft account, I do not have options to disable calendar and contact sync in settings, accounts, @msn.com. I can fo secondary accounts. I was thinking maybe it got set up to use IMAP, not EAS, since I cannot change those settings. Can you disable or enable calendar and contact sync?

TeknoBlast

My settings when I go to my @msn settings are as follows:

*Download new email As item arrives
*Download email from anytime
*download images ON
*Signature ON
*Show email notifications ON
*Message list group messages OFF

As for my calendar, I'm able to set all the settinsg to either Hide or Show and select the color I want.

TeknoBlast

I used to have a Office 365 email account in the mail app and never had an issue with changing the settings. I've removed that account a few days ago since I'm no longer using it.

OP
M

mlev04

Yes, I have all of the same settings for those options. But under where it says content to sync, the only option that shows up is email. In secondary accounts, even when I put this msn.com as a secondary, I can select email, calendar, and contacts under content to sync. Is yours the same? Also, when you had the office 365, where you able to send mail from it, and if so, how? Thanks

TeknoBlast

Where it says Content to Sync, I only get Email. I guess thats the same for you. I'm assuming since the MSN account is the primary account, your options for each feature like email and calendar are seperated to each application. When you add a secondary, then you have all the options under one because you might not want to sync all the features of that secondary account. Again, I'm just guessing here.

As for sending email with the secondayr account, when I click on the + sign for new email, at the very top left corner of the new email, there's a drop down box that lets's you select either your primary account or seconday account. By default, your primary account is selected. If you only have the primary account, of course, you wont get a drop down option.

OP
M

mlev04

Where it says Content to Sync, I only get Email. I guess thats the same for you. I'm assuming since the MSN account is the primary account, your options for each feature like email and calendar are seperated to each application. When you add a secondary, then you have all the options under one because you might not want to sync all the features of that secondary account. Again, I'm just guessing here.

As for sending email with the secondayr account, when I click on the + sign for new email, at the very top left corner of the new email, there's a drop down box that lets's you select either your primary account or seconday account. By default, your primary account is selected. If you only have the primary account, of course, you wont get a drop down option.

Yea, I just found that down arrow to change sending accounts. Thanks a lot. I guess I'll just play around with it some more to see if push email starts working again. Let me know if you see any delays with yours