What's new

Protective Skin and pen holder for my Surface Pro 3

ChiGGz

Got it, so like an insulated thermos that has a layer of air in the middle. But shouldn't aluminum dissipate heat better than plastic?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, aluminum can transfer heat much better than vinyl. That is, the vinyl is a very slight insulator, compared to the aluminum. But when "steady state" heat transfer is going on, one degree F (half a degree C) is about all the hindrance.

This issue has been investigated for various Surface devices over the last two years.
The Microsoft Store kiosk in my area even applies skins while you wait.

Here's an amateur test regarding the PlayStation 4 vinyl skin and heat.

dstrauss

Pen attachment with new (SP4) pens - do you think it would it be possible to glue a magnet to a "skinned" SP3 to attach the pen?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Good thinking. Use rubber cement (stays pliable) to attach a reasonably small and rounded flat piece of steel to the vinyl skin.

10-Pack-Furniture-font-b-Hardware-b-font-0-7-in-x-3-in-Zinc-Plated.jpg

71FRrgiFWZL._SX522_.jpg

firasatahmed

Any skin has more surface area than the smooth metal surface of the Surface device.
Applying a skin is much different than placing the device under a blanket or in a book bag or rubber case while powered on, etc.
These provide an air gap, a thermal insulator. Like a coat. Separates warmer from cooler.

Skins do not provide an air gap. They become part of the unit.

Will the skin protect from scratches and dents? How about screen protector, any good screen protector? How much did you pay for the skin , how did u get the pen stand on it?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
To see the skin price, visit Stickerboy.net .

Excellent protection from scratching.
Good protection from denting, but not corner or edge denting.

Pen stand can be ordered from here.

firasatahmed

With the pen stand on the tablet, would i be able to close the tablet with keyboard? Also when you remove the skin , does it leave any glue on the surface tablet? Thank you.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally use the pen loop, it does the job very well for me. I attach it to the inner side of the keyboard just right of the trackpad so the pen sits on the long edge. My old one stayed on for a year no problem. When I changed to sp4 type cover I put it in the same place only now its even more secure as I put a stickerboy skin on top of it.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
With the pen stand on the tablet, would i be able to close the tablet with keyboard? Also when you remove the skin , does it leave any glue on the surface tablet? Thank you.

The pen clip does not interfere with closing the cover.
No residue is left from the vinyl skin, even after long term use.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
No problem with the Surface Pro 3 docking station due to the skin or the pen holder.

I use this SP3 with a docking station at home and at the office.

Jay Marino

That's great to hear. thank you for your input. I ordered the black carbon from stickerboy. I got 30% off and free shipping by ordering during their holiday sale. Looking forward to it's arrival.