What's new

Prolonged ticking/clicking after detaching (Vid)

Brian123

Hi all,

I just received my Surface Book i7/16/512gb two days ago and immediately experienced issues with the latch mechanism. The unit lot number is 1603.

Upon the initial click on each side after detaching, on the right side only, a ticking/clicking sound continues until the clipboard is either removed or attaches after timing out. Not to be confused with static or anything from a speaker.

I've already started the RMA process, but I wanted to post this issue/video for anyone else that might experience it in the future.

I've only seen maybe two similar complaints about this online. Most responses confused it with the normal clicks you hear as its detached, which certainly isn't the case.

Wayne Orwig

I noticed long ago that mine actually does the exact same thing. But, you can only hear it if you have your ear pressed against the cabinet. It is very faint.
I suspect it is the circuit pulsing the muscle wire to keep it hot until you detach it. For some reason yours is vibrating a lot and making too much noise. Odd.

OP
B

Brian123

I noticed long ago that mine actually does the exact same thing. But, you can only hear it if you have your ear pressed against the cabinet. It is very faint.
I suspect it is the circuit pulsing the muscle wire to keep it hot until you detach it. For some reason yours is vibrating a lot and making too much noise. Odd.

Thanks for the response. I find it's this loud after the first detach attempt, while if I let it time out and try again later, the ticking is more faint like your experience.

When I tried store models, detaching the clipboard while all the way back, it always resulted it a satisfying loud and consistent click each time. I can't seem to get the same experience with my model.