What's new

Problems with Office 2016

Niterider4

Is anyone else having problems running Office 2016 on their SB?

When I use Excel, PowerPoint and Word, the SB will often crash when I close a file, especially a file that I have opened from One Drive. Since I store most of my stuff on One Drive, this has become very inconvenient.

I have repaired Office, and deleted the registry data keys for each program. This seems to work for a short period of time, but then the problems come back. There are no add-ins running on any of the programs.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you running from an .msi install or click2run? I saw this some time ago but it was fixed in Office 365 Pro Plus with one of the updates but you will need to wait for the Feature Update if you are running classic Office 2016.

OP
N

Niterider4

I'm not sure which version I'm running TBH. When I click on Office Account in Outlook, there is an option for updates, so I think that means I am running Click2Run. However, interestingly, when I clicked on updates, it is now installing updates (even though Windows is set up auto update for all Microsoft products).

I will report back after the Office updates have installed.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure which version I'm running TBH. When I click on Office Account in Outlook, there is an option for updates, so I think that means I am running Click2Run. However, interestingly, when I clicked on updates, it is now installing updates (even though Windows is set up auto update for all Microsoft products).

I will report back after the Office updates have installed.
You do have the Click2Run version - Windows Update doesn't handle it it either updates automatically (if configured to do that) or how you are doing it now...

PhilC50

Try this. In any Office app go to File\Options\Advanced
Under Display check Disable hardware graphics acceleration

Report back please.

null4end

Running Office 2016 all day every day. (shoot me...)

Anyway, I actually find that Office works better with hardware graphics acceleration turned on for my SB. This is the first machine that I can say that about. There are a few graphical glitches I get in Outlook (calendar goes white) and Skype for Business (can't resize if someone is presenting) that go away with acceleration on.

OP
N

Niterider4

I have tried Office programs with and without hardware acceleration disabled. No difference.

The only issue I have is that sometimes when I close a file the program will crash. Other than that, all the Office programs work fine.

I have not had a problem since I manually updated Office in the Office Account settings, but it often works for a few days without issues, so we will see how it holds up.

ScottyS

I've had PowerPoint (but not any other Office 365) crash and restart itself after closing and saving a file on OneDrive, but it seems updating fixed it.
It hasn't been an issue, other than having it restart and I have to click the close X again, I've never lost a file and it always did save may work.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Graphics acceleration does not seem to have much effect on the performance of Office on my Surface Book, but running the 64-bit version rather than 32-bit definitely does.

If you remove the 32-bit version in order to install 64-bit, your office files and settings will remain.

OP
N

Niterider4

Same problem again today. Two documents open in Word. Closed one document, no problem. Closed the other document, Word not responding.