What's new

Problems again with Surface Pen

juntoalmar

Hi,

In the past I had problems with my Surface Pro 2017 and the new Surface Pen:

Erase button click doesn't open Windows Ink

I managed to solved them by deleting the pen from the bluetooth devices and reinstall it while pressing the pen's erase button. Last week I put the Surface on flight mode (because of, actually, taking a flight) and after that the pen's button doesn't work again (when I press it, the Windows Ink is not launched as expected).

I have repeated the process of uninstall/install the pen but this time it doesn't work. Windows tell me the Surface Pen is properly connected, but I can't use it at all.

Is there any further action I could do to try to fix it? Because the pen worked correctly in the beginning I have the impression it is not a HW problem. How can I check the battery life of the pen?

Thanks in advance

Check if you recently unchecked "Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power". This must be checked for proper Bluetooth operation after aeroplane mode

OP
J

juntoalmar

It was checked and I have tried unchecking it, checking it again, updating the Bluetooh controller, deleting the pen and adding it again, updating Windows... nothing fixes it.

I don't think this is the problem but, does the pen gives some feedback when it has low battery? I just don't want to buy a battery to try this (the pen is only a month and a half old, and I haven't clicked the erase button so many times to empty the battery)

florencio

It was checked and I have tried unchecking it, checking it again, updating the Bluetooh controller, deleting the pen and adding it again, updating Windows... nothing fixes it.

I don't think this is the problem but, does the pen gives some feedback when it has low battery? I just don't want to buy a battery to try this (the pen is only a month and a half old, and I haven't clicked the erase button so many times to empty the battery)

The Surface App shows battery status of all Surface devices connected/paired.

OP
J

juntoalmar

The Surface App shows battery status of all Surface devices connected/paired.

But, in this case, we are talking about a pen that is not paired.

To be honest, it's very dissappointing to buy a new Surface and the new pen to see that the whole thing will stop working if you go to airplane mode...

florencio

Answering your question if the pen gives feedback when it has low battery. If it is not connected then I don't know of any indicator on the pen's battery status.
I know how disappointing it can be. My pen writing/cursor stopped working, eraser worked and did the whole uninstall and pair again. Went to Microsoft Store yesterday. They updated touch screen drivers and it worked again. This morning it stopped working again.

evandene

my expensive surface pro pen, latest and most expensive one doesn't work neither. Should simple work, basta.
The left right buttons near the pen tip do not work and Microsoft is avoiding any guidance.
Will buy the most famous one.