What's new

problems after july update

alexd88

my surface is freezing after update for a few seconds up to almost 1 minute before resuming. nothing is working whet it freeze. what driver should i roll back? this is happening when i am in chrome most of the time.

Votality

my surface is freezing after update for a few seconds up to almost 1 minute before resuming. nothing is working whet it freeze. what driver should i roll back? this is happening when i am in chrome most of the time.

Not sure about the freezing, but (as posted in numerous other threads) chrome in recent tests has been shown to eat battery performance in a recent tests by ms. If you can avoid using it it may be best to use another browser.

I would check memory usage before suspending the machine to see if the is any correlation. Resuming (if you mean from hibernation) basically saves all memory to disk and reloads it when resuming. Its possible the slower resume could be due to high memory use when you use chrome (as it uses lots of memory too) when you hibernate (more to load upon resumption). However, 1min sounds awfully long although, and if it only started after the update it does sound like something else.

Did you find a solution to your problem? I'm experiencing the same symptoms after upgrading July 15, though it occur even when no or any applications are open, not just when Chrome is.

I think I solved it by rolling back the driver for the graphic card:
Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

Now I've been able to use my SPRO4 for 30 minutes without any freezes :D

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing I always do whenever I encounter any SP4 issues that MIGHT be driver related is....I download the drivers then I REMOVE / REBOOT / REINSTALL / REBOOT / TEST - Although cumbersome and somewhat time consuming - this more often then not clears up any issues I have. I know some folks out there want the newest drivers out there, and with the updates, sometimes certain drivers are updated, and this might end up rolling them back, but hey - if it works - who needs the newest drivers anyhow right? Give it a shot and please let me know if this mayyybe resolves your issue(s).

Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

stammie

I've had the same, for me its definitely the new video driver, when I roll back to the old one all screen freezes and lockups disappear.
The problem I have is that a day or two later my SP4 reverts to the newest driver, how can I disable this driver permanently until MS provide us with something that works correctly?

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had the same, for me its definitely the new video driver, when I roll back to the old one all screen freezes and lockups disappear.
The problem I have is that a day or two later my SP4 reverts to the newest driver, how can I disable this driver permanently until MS provide us with something that works correctly?

In order to stop the drivers from auto-updating - check this link out.

How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10

stammie

Thanks MikemanSP4 but I think I have done pretty much everything in that guide plus more in other guides.
However thanks to a couple of helpful people on Reddit I've discovered a very simple solution, do not roll back your driver, do not uninstall this latest borked driver just go to device manager and choose update driver then reinstall a good signed driver whether it be from MS or from Intel's update page.
If you do this your SP4 wont reinstall the latest one until there's a new update available.
One of the mistakes I made was to be trying the latest driver from Intel which was a beta, as soon as I updated to the newest non beta Intel driver my SP4 stopped reinstalling the July update one.
I then tried the same update process with the last good driver from MS (a driver from March) and had the same positive result :)

OP
A

alexd88

i have tried to roll back the drivers. but i didn't have this option because the windows updater made another update and i can't do it any more, i tried the last drivers from intel website but i occure the same problem with freezing the screen. I have to wait for another driver release. And the freezing is more obvious when i am on battery.

wynand32

Not sure if this is the same issue, but I'm having a problem (perhaps since the July update) where the taskbar and Action Center specifically freeze. I can access apps via alt-tab and such, but neither touch nor mouse input will access the taskbar and Action Center.

stammie

i have tried to roll back the drivers. but i didn't have this option because the windows updater made another update and i can't do it any more, i tried the last drivers from intel website but i occure the same problem with freezing the screen. I have to wait for another driver release. And the freezing is more obvious when i am on battery.

The anniversary update fixed the issue for me with MS's latest driver, but as I'm now using my SP4 for some media duties connected to my TV from time to time I prefer Intel's drivers with the control panel so I can select the best resolution and framerate for what I'm playing on the TV.
With the latest Intel drivers I noticed some of the temporary freezing issues when on battery, I found going back to a previous version of non beta drivers fixed this, if memory serves me correctly I'm using ones dated 3/8/2016

OP
A

alexd88

mine still freeze i am on intel driver from date 4/22/2016 on battery. i have tried to download the version you said but is not any more on their website