What's new

problem with OneDrive

Stephan

Weirdly (and suddenly) my oneDrive doesn't work on my SP3.
On my desktop computer, next to me, it works perfectly.

But on my SP3 if I try to open a file it says : This file can't be open at the moment. There is a problem with your Onedrive"

Anyone know what could be the problem (the syncing is activated and work)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When you right click on the OneDrive Icon (little cloud in the Task Tray) and Select View Syncing Problems does list any errors? Also if you attempted to copy any files that are an executable from your SP3 (.exe, .cmd, .bat, .ps1) it can kill the syncing.

r0b123

Perhaps you may need to Sync your files to view status especially if you were switching or in/out of a network. If you open File Explorer, then right click your OneDrive icon, you can select Sync which will also give you status.

guymalloc

If you have onedrive open on one device, it may not allow access on another. I ran into this with my android phone. If I'm logged in on my phone, I get access errors on my surface, and vice-versa. Seems to be a limiting factor. Perhaps turning on complete file access in Onedrive would correct it, but I don't like the idea of cloud access to my PC.

OP
S

Stephan

Problem solved itself... Don't know why, but it works again suddenly. Thank you for your help anyway (If it comes back, I'll try all that)

ScottyS

Problem solved itself... Don't know why, but it works again suddenly. Thank you for your help anyway (If it comes back, I'll try all that)
I've had this problem many times (comes and goes) in both Win8.1 and Win10 where files that are online only are not available. Sometimes there's even a triangular exclamation point sign overlying the OneDrive icon. Yet OneDrive sync says sync is up to date. I also have the WiFi problem where at many places at work I get "Connection Limited", but this OneDrive problem occurs at home where Internet access is working.

Oddly, if I access OneDrive through IE browser I can access all the files.

OP
S

Stephan

I've had this problem many times (comes and goes) in both Win8.1 and Win10 where files that are online only are not available. Sometimes there's even a triangular exclamation point sign overlying the OneDrive icon. Yet OneDrive sync says sync is up to date. I also have the WiFi problem where at many places at work I get "Connection Limited", but this OneDrive problem occurs at home where Internet access is working.

Oddly, if I access OneDrive through IE browser I can access all the files.

Exactly ! You described exactly the problem. Ok, so it' a Onedrive bug if I understand.

EldoInTheWeeds

I have OneDrive on my SP3, laptop and desktop. Occasionally it acts up on all my devices. The one sure fix I have found is to completely power off the system, wait 30 minutes and then turn it back on.

Fazer Rider

I had a 1Tb onedrive business account, migrated to google-drive because of:
- syncing problems like above;
- limitations of syncing: max. 20.000 files, max 150 or 250 characters in file/directory name; some filetypes (e.g. .js files) are forbidden;
- some unreadble (corrupted) files after syncing;
- slow;

Intension was syncing / backup three devices.