What's new

Solved Pro 3: Undo in OneNote

YoyoRagamuffin

Hi,

I just realized that I accidentally modified some notes in my OneNote just before I closed it a few days ago. This morning I opened the file and I saw that I "translated" into text my handwriting.
The results are poor.

I would like to go back in time to the point before I made this changes, so that I can see my handwriting again.
I tried to use the history option but I was not successful. Any advice about how to undo an unfortunate mistake during a previous session?

Thank you all

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IDK how successful it would be but do you have File History turned on?
What was the time period between creating the note and accidental translation?

OP
Y

YoyoRagamuffin

IDK how successful it would be but do you have File History turned on?
What was the time period between creating the note and accidental translation?

what do you mean by "file history turned on"? Isn't it always turned on? Is there something specific that I need to do?

Thanks

zhenya

what do you mean by "file history turned on"? Isn't it always turned on? Is there something specific that I need to do?

Thanks

File History is the built-in backups for Windows 8. They have to be manually turned on because you need to put them on an external drive of some sort.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can turn File History on: Swipe from right , Settings, Change PC settings, Update and Recovery, File History.

The drive you select must be removable like a USB drive or a Network Drive. note also that the drive file system will need to support large files in order for all files to be backed up. i.e. a 5GB video wont backup to a drive formatted with Fat32 although all files under 4GB will be backed up. This and other errors with file history would be flagged in the Action Center.

jrhillma

You can turn File History on: Swipe from right , Settings, Change PC settings, Update and Recovery, File History.

The drive you select must be removable like a USB drive or a Network Drive. note also that the drive file system will need to support large files in order for all files to be backed up. i.e. a 5GB video wont backup to a drive formatted with Fat32 although all files under 4GB will be backed up. This and other errors with file history would be flagged in the Action Center.

Would the SD card count as removable?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would the SD card count as removable?
You can select the SD card and you might run into the above mentioned file system issue on cards formatted with Fat32 although larger cards (32gb+) typically will be formatted with the preferred exFAT which doesn't exhibit the problem as the max file size is 16EB which is larger than any SDcard.

zhenya

SD card on the device isn't a great backup solution either because it is both physically and electrically connected to the device. If it takes a surge or is lost or stolen, you'll lose your backups. Could be a convenient place to have second-tier backups though, especially as Microsoft removed Previous Versions from Win 8. Still mad about that!!