What's new

Pro 2 Does Not Recognize Type Cover 2

pmillen

My Surface Pro 2 has stopped recognizing its Type Cover 2. Any suggestions for getting it working again?

GoodBytes

My Surface Pro 2 has stopped recognizing its Type Cover 2. Any suggestions for getting it working again?

1- Restart the system. Does it work? No, continue:

2-Shut it down, detach the keyboard cover, and make sure the contact on the Surface Pro and keyboard are clean. Use rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts

3- Once cleaned, Attach back the keyboard, and press and hold the Vol Up button, then the Power button, (hold both). The system will turn on, continue to hold both buttons. The system will turn off, continue to hold. The system will turn on. Now you can let go both buttons.
Does it detect the keyboard now?

OP
pmillen

pmillen

I skipped the cleaning part. I didn't see how that could be the culprit since it worked when I shut it off.

Step 3 worked. Thanks for taking the time to address this.

OP
pmillen

pmillen

Same story—keyboard not recognized the next time I started it. I cleaned the contacts and performed step 3 (vol and power buttons) several times but no joy. It flashed "Surface" the second time but never started.

A menu flashed occasionally, but too briefly to read.

I once got to a point where I answered a series of questions about the available steps to take because my Surface hadn't shut down properly. Hadn't shut down properly? Hmmmm. I used Sart8, a Windows 7 Start button add-in from Stardock, to shut down. Maybe it doesn't do it properly.

Anyway, as I worked my way through the questions I came to a point where I needed to choose between two undesirable options. I think they were (1) remove all files or (2) remove all files and apps. I really didn't want to do either so I shut down via the power button because I didn't have a way to back out of this dilemma to previous screens. Now, I'm feeling that I should have wiped everything.

During my last attempt I caught the menu and I'm staring at it with no idea of what any of these choices mean (well I know what Exit means).
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Trusted Platform Module (TPM) [Enabled]

Secure Boot Control [Enabled]

Install Default Secure Boot Keys

Delete All Secure Boot Keys

Exit Setup
Do you have more suggestions?

This thing is only about two months old. I've been unhappy with Windows for years. Now I'm growing unhappy with Microsoft's hardware. I'm trying to stay loyal to Windows, in my home I have a desktop, two notebooks, a Windows phone and most recently this Surface Pro 2. But I'm again thinking of listing everything on Craig's List, biting the cost bullet and converting to Apple products.

yeewiz

You've pointed it out yourself. Maybe you shouldn't use that "Sart8" program (designed for Win7) and let Windows 8 operate normally and report back? Have you hacked other "special" programs into the SP2?

OP
pmillen

pmillen

You've pointed it out yourself. Maybe you shouldn't use that "Sart8" program (designed for Win7) and let Windows 8 operate normally and report back? Have you hacked other "special" programs into the SP2?

Thanks for the prompt reply, vitriolic as it may be.

Well, maybe I listed the wrong app name 'cause I can't look at it (the %$* Surface won't start). But I can't agree with your statement that the app I'm using was designed for Win 7. It's intended to add the Start button to Win 8. So I think "hacked" is rather harsh.

Even conceding that the Start button add-in may not shut it down properly it should be easier to rectify than this.

Do you have a another suggestion?

GoodBytes

Thanks for the prompt reply, vitriolic as it may be.

Well, maybe I listed the wrong app name 'cause I can't look at it (the %$* Surface won't start). But I can't agree with your statement that the app I'm using was designed for Win 7. It's intended to add the Start button to Win 8. So I think "hacked" is rather harsh.

Even conceding that the Start button add-in may not shut it down properly it should be easier to rectify than this.

Do you have a another suggestion?

Windows 8 already has a start button and shutdown button. No settings to change.

apcnews2012win8-1_desktop_thumb_mainImage1.jpg1.jpg

windows81-power-options-button.jpg

If your system doesn't want to start, then you have broken Windows (probably with Windows hacking tools) and requires re-installation.

It helps to give something a chance, instead of trying to ignore it.

Last edited:

drolem

During my last attempt I caught the menu and I'm staring at it with no idea of what any of these choices mean (well I know what Exit means).
Trusted Platform Module (TPM) [Enabled]

Secure Boot Control [Enabled]

Install Default Secure Boot Keys

Delete All Secure Boot Keys

Exit Setup
Do you have more suggestions?

This thing is only about two months old. I've been unhappy with Windows for years. Now I'm growing unhappy with Microsoft's hardware. I'm trying to stay loyal to Windows, in my home I have a desktop, two notebooks, a Windows phone and most recently this Surface Pro 2. But I'm again thinking of listing everything on Craig's List, biting the cost bullet and converting to Apple products.
The above is the"BIOS" menu for the SP2.

There are several ways to get in there, one is a convoluted restart from Win8, another is if you have some kind of issue with the SSD or some of the related circuitry that prevents boot, you can also get it if the Win8 install is corrupted, and lastly, I think you can press some magic keys during or before boot to get to that menu.

Exit should work and should start your unit normally. If it does not, you either have a hardware error, intermittent or otherwise, or a corrupted Win8 install. You may want look in the event log to see if you have disk errors in there, if so, download smartmontools and check the SMART stats of the SSD.

OP
pmillen

pmillen

The above is the"BIOS" menu for the SP2.

Exit should work and should start your unit normally.

Thanks for the helpful reply. It's a pleasure to hear from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Exit worked and my Surface started normally, as you predicted. I'm hopeful that this is the end of the problem. If it reoccurs I'll download smartmontools and check further.