What's new

Power drain: Bluetooth keyboard vs type cover.

infinitylook

So I already have a nice bluetooth keyboard here and i am thinking of getting the type cover because of its back lighting but what sets me back is the price and also if it will drain more compared to a bluetooth keyboard (I have a keyboard with 3.0 standard and also with 2.0 standard).
So what drains power more?

kundas1

don't have a clue what drains more but having a typecover hardly drains anything on my SP3 and I don't think it will anything negligible to really have a concern... with that said you can find a mint used typecover on kijiji or crapslist for a really good price

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So I already have a nice bluetooth keyboard here and i am thinking of getting the type cover because of its back lighting but what sets me back is the price and also if it will drain more compared to a bluetooth keyboard (I have a keyboard with 3.0 standard and also with 2.0 standard).
So what drains power more?
Some of that would depend on the Bluetooth Keyboard, if it is Bluetooth 3.0 or less it would drain quicker, if it was Bluetooth 4.0LE it would be a less of a drain.

LibbyLA

You'll have to charge the BT keyboard separately; the Type Cover gets power from the Surface. The Type Cover folds onto the Surface, an external keyboard won't. However, you do have to use the Type Cover attached the Surface, which would not be the case for a separate BT keyboard.

OP
I

infinitylook

Hello thanks for the reply. Convenience is not an issue for me (charging the keyboard separately and weight etc.) I just want to know if which consumes power the least. So one said it's the type cover. I guess it's the least consuming between the two but maybe others has opinion. THanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hello thanks for the reply. Convenience is not an issue for me (charging the keyboard separately and weight etc.) I just want to know if which consumes power the least. So one said it's the type cover. I guess it's the least consuming between the two but maybe others has opinion. THanks.
The Type Cover will be the best as far as Battery Consumption compared to a Bluetooth Keyboard.

BubbaUK

I guess it depends if you'll be using any other Bluetooth devices (such as the pen or mouse). If BT is on anyway, I'd guess the additional power drain for an additional keyboard would be negligible. If you'd otherwise have BT off, it's almost certain the Type Cover will be more efficient.

Either way, the power used by either option is probably tiny compared to the power used by 1 minute screen time ....

OP
I

infinitylook

I think bluetooth will be turned off once i have the type cover since i can already leave my keybord and mouse at home. anyway thank for the info.

I think bluetooth will be turned off once i have the type cover since i can already leave my keybord and mouse at home. anyway thank for the info.

That's one of the things I do when mobile with my Surface (Pro 4), as well as screen brightness, no Flash in browser, etc.