What's new

Power Button Guard

olimjj

FWIW I have made a low tech, low cost workaround, to the power button on the Surface 1 &2 (I wish they had recessed it a bit more) being inadvertently pressed at inopportune times. For example, careless handling, movement or inadvertent contact in my carry case etc. These events can lead to battery draining and/ or heating up excessively. It provides a margin of safety for these events as well a quick tactile locator in obvious situations.

Material: Velcro adhesive strip (plastic textured surface)
Cost: < 1$ YPMV
Shape: Rectanglar
Outside dimensions: 20mm x10mm
Inside cutout dimensions: 12mm x 5mm
Capture 5.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture 2.PNG

AranWS

Hi Olimjj,

Just made an account to say cheers for that solution, I found your post after a deep trawl through the backwaters of Google (my Surface 3 turns on in my bag often and overheats -- a terrible design flaw on a brilliant wee product). I'd been thinking of making a sort of u-shaped clip to drop over the power switch but hadn't considered making an adhesive cutout to 'recess' the switch until I saw your post. I used a sticky pad meant for putting under table/chair legs instead of sticky velcro: here's a pic if you'd like to see: Aran Ward Sell on Twitter

So cheers again for being helpful and sharing your improvised solution with the internet!