What's new

Please help me project my desktop to LG Smart TV (wasted 6 hours)

isurf

I have an important presentation. Client will be sitting on Sofa with my LG 47" monitor on the wall in front. I will be sitting on a table presenting stuff. I want my Surface Pro 2 desktop to be mirrored on the LG 47" screen.

- I have Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1 all updated via Windows update.
- Under Device Manager > Network Adapters >Marvell VASTAR 350N Wireless Network driver Ver = 14.69.24054.176 Date- 23/05/2014. Apparently it is the latest driver according to update driver online selection .
- Smart Share is enabled in settings of my LG Smart TV.
- If I right click on say an .avi file and choose "play to" I can select my LG TV and it plays the video on my LG TV. So I guess it proves that the hardware is ok on both sides?

Anyway so to mirror the desktop on to the LG smart TV. I tried going in to Charm bar > Devices > Connect to a different display > Add Wireless display > It searches and finds my LG Smart TV (called 666). It also says not windows certified.

Next step is where I get stuck. How the hell do I get it to project on my LG TV? Btw Project setting is set to DUPLICATE.

From researching it seems that the LG TV (666) should be showing on the right side of the attached image under Devices? What am I doing wrong?

Man why so complicated? Why is it not working? Please I need to sort it out soon.

ew5e22w.jpg

Last edited:

kundas1

I would burn that TV with holy fire...but that's just me... maybe perhaps try an exorcism? might work afterwards ;) never have imaged my SP3 on a tv wirelessly but maybe some one else knows how? Jeff yohoo where are ya buddy lol ;)

OP
I

isurf

I would burn that TV with holy fire...but that's just me... maybe perhaps try an exorcism? might work afterwards ;) never have imaged my SP3 on a tv wirelessly but maybe some one else knows how? Jeff yohoo where are ya buddy lol ;)

I tried naming my LG TV God. Didn't work either.

OP
I

isurf

This guy with the same issue but no solution either sums it better (if what I wrote was not clear)-

Hey reddit, I recently got a new LG Smart TV running WebOS and I wanted to hook up my Surface Pro 2 to it with Miracast. So far I have not gotten it to work.

I put the TV into the Screen Share mode, where it's ready to receive a signal. On my SP2, the procedure would be to swipe in from the right, go to "Devices", then "Project" and then choose the TV under "Add a device (...)". Well, the thing is that this option doesn't appear. When I tap on "Project", I get the screen modes instead (duplicate, etc.), even though I didn't even pick a screen to do this with. If I go into the PC settings app, I can see that the TV has been recognized under the devices screen, but it's also "Not certified for Windows". What can I do to throw my Surface Pro 2 image at my TV? And no, not the physical throwing of the Surface against the screen ba-dum tshhh

grumpy

I put the TV into the Screen Share mode, where it's ready to receive a signal. On my SP2, the procedure would be to swipe in from the right, go to "Devices", then "Project" and then choose the TV under "Add a device (...)".
Under "Project" it should briefly display "searching for displays" after which your TV should be listed followed by "add a wireless display". Have you updated the firmware for the TV? After updating the firmware, you may need to "remove" the TV and re-add it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume there's an available HDMI port so just get a Netgear PTV 3000 or other Miracast adapter and be done with it. The adapter uses a usb connector for power you can plug into the TV or any other usb power source. you could be fighting with this TV for a while.

OP
I

isurf

I would get PTV3000 but

a) I might face the exact same issue I am facing now. It has 3 star rating on Amazon.
b) My LG smart TV is Mircast(LG smart share) and Widi ready. Well Surface Pro 2 does not seem to be Widi ready because of having Marvell VASTAR 350N chip but apparently it is Miracast ready. So why do I need to spend more on similar hardware :-(
c) Might as well mirror the desktop via HDM/DisplayPort cable....lot cheaper and fool proof.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Suit yourself although plenty of people have PTV working. As for LG TV... the answer was on the screen, Not Windows Certified. Yep, cant go too wrong with a cable, usually. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Miracast is an umbrella standard but like many standards, ODMs have leeway on implementation and many devices work with Android but not Windows. Typically this can be fixed with a firmware update.

OP
I

isurf

Miracast is an umbrella standard but like many standards, ODMs have leeway on implementation and many devices work with Android but not Windows. Typically this can be fixed with a firmware update.

I have the TV firmware up to date.

Thinking of getting PTV3000 but $60 down the drain if it does not work.

So if I go the cable way then I will need min display port to HDMI adapter > then long HDMI cable to get from table to HDMI input of the LG LM620s TV. Correct?