What's new

Pen Performance

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

The pen requires a bit more pressure than the Wacom tech from SP2. Whether it's just because of the different technology, the differences in levels of pressure sensitivity, I don't know - I adapted after a couple of days and personally I like it.

I think the writing experience is quite personal and if you don't like it, that's just how it is.

It actually probably needs less pressure, not more. The SP2 gives handwriting that looks like natural handwriting. I find looking at what I have written there is less variation. One person commented to me that it is more like using a texter writing on the SP3.

There is also the palm rejection which is built into the screen in the SP2, not the pen. At least it feels that way as it always works.

Then there are the times there are bluetooth issues which aren't there most of the time but I am finding times now when it does happen and refuses to write or misbehaves.

malberttoo

There is also the palm rejection which is built into the screen in the SP2, not the pen.

That's exactly why Microsoft couldn't use it. It is too thick, and Microsoft was trying to go the opposite direction of thick with the SP3.

IF there was a Wacom digitizer on the SP4, it would be because they reconfigured their tech to work the same way as Ntrig. As Jeff mentioned above all the digitizing tech is gong that direction, and Wacom is now trying to as well.

kundas1

why not just REPLACE your device, sounds like the pen isn't working OR the screen, as others have said they ink all the time and it works flawless which is myself included! sounds like something isn't right on your device... but you read like all SP3 has this inking problem when in fact it isn't true, and the NTrig is working great! also maybe take your device into the MS store and check and see if your pen is functioning properly and the screens also...

riggi

Then there are the times there are bluetooth issues which aren't there most of the time but I am finding times now when it does happen and refuses to write or misbehaves.

It might be more of a hardware problem/faulty unit.
Bluetooth issues shouldn't affect the writing.
Bluetooth is only used for the purple button at the top.
You can turn BT off on the SP3 and the writing part of the pen will still work.

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

That's exactly why Microsoft couldn't use it. It is too thick, and Microsoft was trying to go the opposite direction of thick with the SP3.

IF there was a Wacom digitizer on the SP4, it would be because they reconfigured their tech to work the same way as Ntrig. As Jeff mentioned above all the digitizing tech is gong that direction, and Wacom is now trying to as well.
I agree that Wacom are going that way. It will be challenging trying to build bluetooth pens.

I remain pretty unconvinced that active pens are a good idea and will ever be as good as the inking built into the screen. It is happening obviously as with broadwell, expectations will be for even thinner tablets and computers.

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

It might be more of a hardware problem/faulty unit.
Bluetooth issues shouldn't affect the writing.
Bluetooth is only used for the purple button at the top.
You can turn BT off on the SP3 and the writing part of the pen will still work.
You have a point... if that is the case. Mind you it is still an active pen where the electronics in the pen are working their magic. There are two sets of batteries, as you say but how it all works I'm not quite sure.

The first issue was really I didn't like the inking on the SP3 anyway, not after a perfect 10/10 on the SP2. The other problems could have been results of faults but I've done my two weeks and I'm returning it. The SP2 works well enough although the performance of the i7 will be missed.

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

I got a response from a Senior Marketing Manager from Wacom. He didn't reveal much but said the obvious which is the choice of technology was made by Microsoft. They offer EMR technology, of course, with a sensor board built into the screen assembly.

I think building an active pen has to compete with established technology such as EMR which has been refined over a number of years and I think is simply better.

While I have some doubts that active pen technology will ever work as well as EMR, if it is cheaper, allows thinner assemblies and saves power, Wacom will have to respond, either by producing active pen technology or by making EMR technology thinner and consuming less power.

mcsenerd

I think although it's been intimated that your idea of how N-Trig tech works is a bit...off, that you might still be a bit confused. The battery in N-Trig that is used to power the touch portion of the pen in now way communicates location information via bluetooth to the screen/device. I think the gallery here shows quite a bit about the N-Trig tech that I believe is the basis for the pen used in the SP3. All that being said...to me this becomes a Ford vs. Chevy, PC vs. Mac, Catholics vs. Protestant type battle. Some folks have already made their minds up based on their subjective past experiences, but the reality is that each flavor of tech has its own set of pros and cons.

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

I was mulling over this again as I was writing with the SP2. There is almost zero chance of accidentally activating something with your palm, in fact, couldn't accidentally activate anything with my palm on the screen even deliberately trying to. This is quite different with the SP3, where the pen has to be in close proximity to the screen before it will prevent accidental palm interactions.

For this reason alone I've totally gone off this active pen idea used on the SP3.

It is nuts and bolts, not emotions on this point.

Maybe on which pen you enjoy writing with there is a feel issue which is more personal. On that point too, the SP2 wins, for me at least.

Finally, the SP2 handwriting always works, totally solid.

I'm disappointed to be without the SP3 but also happy to be using the SP2 again.