What's new

Pen as non-inking input device

bmac

Can the SP3 pen be used as a non-drawing stylus with desktop apps for more precise control in icon selection than one would get from their finger? I would like to use the SP3 at home in an easy chair as a tablet without a keyboard, touch pad or mouse. The software is specific for the healthcare field and was not designed for a touch interface. I'm hoping the SP3 with pen input will allow me to do some work at home, from the comfort of a recliner.

ctitanic

Can the SP3 pen be used as a non-drawing stylus with desktop apps for more precise control in icon selection than one would get from their finger? I would like to use the SP3 at home in an easy chair as a tablet without a keyboard, touch pad or mouse. The software is specific for the healthcare field and was not designed for a touch interface. I'm hoping the SP3 with pen input will allow me to do some work at home, from the comfort of a recliner.
of course! It's the best mouse that ever may own!

Liam2349

Also I should mention the pen tracks perfectly. When you tap the screen, you click where you tap. It's not like Wacom where you can't tap accurately near the edges of the screen.

OP
B

bmac

Thanks for prompt replies. May need to head to Best Buy this afternoon and pick one up.

bluegrass

I use it when its not handy to use a mouse. I do notice that for whatever reason, the selection process, point & left click, doesn't work for me with the pen nearly as reliable as a mouse does. that may be just me. Maybe I just haven't mastered the pen. I also use right click in the mouse a lot and with the pen you can usually emulate that by pushing the open down holding it were you would normally point & right click the mouse button.

ctitanic

I use it when its not handy to use a mouse. I do notice that for whatever reason, the selection process, point & left click, doesn't work for me with the pen nearly as reliable as a mouse does. that may be just me. Maybe I just haven't mastered the pen. I also use right click in the mouse a lot and with the pen you can usually emulate that by pushing the open down holding it were you would normally point & right click the mouse button.
What really does not work for me is to carry a mouse. :p

malberttoo

So using the pen, you should be double-tapping to replace double-click, and for right-click, you should be tapping and hold, until the context menu appears.

Just double-checking that that's what you're doing?